A solid steel shaft is subjected to a torque of 45 KN/m.

In summary, to find the suitable diameter of a solid steel shaft subjected to a torque of 45 KN/m with an angle of twist of 0.5 degree per meter length and a maximum shear stress of 90 MN/m^2, two diameters are needed. The first one, calculated using the angle of twist, is 0.16 m and the second one, calculated using the shear stress, is 0.1365 m. The minimum diameter of the shaft should be 0.1356 m to withstand the shear stress. Alternatively, the first diameter can be used to calculate the shear stress using the modulus of rigidity, which can then be used to find the maximum shear strain.
manal950
A solid steel shaft is subjected to a torque of 45 KN/m. If the angle of twist is 0.5 degree per meter length of the shaft and the shear stress is not exceed 90 MN/m^2
(I) find the suitable diameter of the shaft . Take C = 80 GN/m^2
(II) Maximum shear strain

we can solve the question by torsion equation
T/Ip = e/R = CQ/l

T maximum twisting torque in Nm
Ip polar moment of inertia = pid^4/32 in m^4
e shear stress in N/m^2
R radius of the shaft
Q the angle of the shaft
l length if the shaft in m

my question know why in solving fined two diameter ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well from your formula, which two should you equate with what you are given in order to get the diameter? (You know one quantity as one of the terms must be related to the diameter).

yes why ?

and here I have the solution

the fist answer is
Diameter on the basic of twist
= 0.16 m

and then diameter on the basis of shear stress :
D = 0.1365 m

Now my question why in answer give us two diameter ?

and which one is correct ?

Using shear stress, you got d=0.1365 m, so if you put d = 0.16 m will your shaft be able to withstand the shear stress or will it fail?

(Hint: You don't want your shaft to fail)

How I can know if the shaft It will withstand the shear stress or not ... ?

for finding the second diameter is depend on first diameter ?

manal950 said:
How I can know if the shaft It will withstand the shear stress or not ... ?

At the maximum shear stress value the diameter is 0.1356 m. (Meaning that this is the minimum diameter the shaft should be)

For the angle of twist, the diameter is 0.16 m. Since you want your shaft to be subjected to the specified angle of twist, then d = 0.16 m will be sufficient.

thanks so much ..

manal950 said:
thanks so much ..

In essence, what you did was to get the diameter for the angle of twist.

Then found the minimum diameter of the shaft to prove the first diameter would not exceed the shear stress.

Alternatively, you could have used the first diameter (found using the angle of twist) to get the shear stress using

[tex]\frac{T}{I_p} = \frac{e}{R}[/tex]

thanks .. I forget ... how I can figure out the equation from above equation to solve for maximum strain ?? there is no simple for strain ?? ...

manal950 said:
thanks .. I forget ... how I can figure out the equation from above equation to solve for maximum strain ?? there is no simple for strain ?? ...

How is shear stress and shear strain related to the modulus of rigidity (your value for C)?

module of rigidity = steers / strain .

manal950 said:
module of rigidity = steers / strain .

so from e/R = CQ/l, what do you get when you replace e with C*strain ?

What is a solid steel shaft?

A solid steel shaft is a cylindrical structural component made of solid steel, typically used to transfer torque and rotational forces in machinery and equipment.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In this case, it refers to the force applied to the solid steel shaft.

What does 45 KN/m mean in this context?

45 KN/m refers to the torque applied to the solid steel shaft, measured in kilonewtons per meter. It is a unit of measurement commonly used in engineering to indicate the amount of force applied over a certain distance.

What factors can affect the strength of a solid steel shaft?

The strength of a solid steel shaft can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the steel, the shape and dimensions of the shaft, and the amount of torque and external forces applied to it.

What are some potential applications of a solid steel shaft?

A solid steel shaft can be used in various applications such as vehicle transmissions, power tools, industrial machinery, and even in the construction of buildings and bridges.