Drafting Question: What are auxiliary and sectional views?

In summary, auxiliary and sectional views are projections that are used to provide dimensional information that is difficult to extract from the normal top, side, and front views or or isometric drawings. They are still useful to drafters, but they are usually used to train visualization skills.
Bipolarity
What are auxiliary and sectional views when making orthographic projections? I missed class today, so I would like if someone could explain their significance in drafting.

P.S. I am drafting by hand, so no references to auto-CAD or SolidWorks please.

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did an awful lot of draughting by hand (even built my own table with a really nice machine and all of the fun tools), but I studied it only in grade 9 and 10. (It wasn't available in higher grades at my school.)
The way that I remember it is that auxiliary views are simply alternates to the normal ones, such as close-ups of exploded components. Sectionals are cut-aways, as if part of the object has been removed to reveal something behind it without the confusion of using hidden lines.
I'm not 100% sure about that, but it's the way that I was taught.

Like Danger, without any formal training since high school, I would have said the same thing as he.

Danger said:
I did an awful lot of draughting by hand (even built my own table with a really nice machine and all of the fun tools), but I studied it only in grade 9 and 10. (It wasn't available in higher grades at my school.)
The way that I remember it is that auxiliary views are simply alternates to the normal ones, such as close-ups of exploded components. Sectionals are cut-aways, as if part of the object has been removed to reveal something behind it without the confusion of using hidden lines.
I'm not 100% sure about that, but it's the way that I was taught.

Auxiliary views are projections onto a plane that is not one of the three orthogonal planes. They are (Or were) used to provide dimensional information that was difficult to extract from the normal top, side, and front views or isometric drawings. With today's 3D drafting tools they are probably only useful in training to develop visualization skills for manual drafting.

Sectional drawings are as you described.

Exploded View drawings (my favorite when I was a draftsman in the dark ages BC - before computers) were considered an assembly drawing in our terminology.

Thanks for the info, NUCENG.
I can't afford any kind of draughting software, so I do my stuff in Inkscape (or Illustrator if I fire up one the the G3's). Auxiliaries are still quite handy to me.
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember the term "assembly drawing". I'd forgotten in the 40 years since school.

What are auxiliary and sectional views?

Auxiliary and sectional views are two types of orthographic projections used in drafting to show more details and dimensions of an object from different angles.

Why are auxiliary and sectional views used in drafting?

Auxiliary and sectional views are used to provide a more comprehensive and accurate representation of an object, especially when the object has complex shapes or features that cannot be fully shown in the primary views.

How are auxiliary and sectional views created?

Auxiliary views are created by projecting the features of an object onto an auxiliary plane that is perpendicular to the primary view. Sectional views are created by cutting an object along a specific plane and showing the internal details of the object.

What are the differences between auxiliary and sectional views?

Auxiliary views are used to show features that are not parallel to any of the primary views, while sectional views are used to show internal features and details of an object. Additionally, auxiliary views are projected onto an auxiliary plane, while sectional views are created by cutting the object along a specific plane.

Are auxiliary and sectional views always necessary in drafting?

It depends on the complexity of the object and the level of detail needed. In some cases, auxiliary views may not be necessary if the object can be fully represented in the primary views, while sectional views may not be needed if the internal features are not relevant or can be shown in other ways. However, in most cases, auxiliary and sectional views are used to provide a more accurate and detailed representation of an object.