What is the draft of the barrel?

• Thread starter kyaranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Draft
In summary, the problem involves a floating oil drum in the North Sea with a total mass of 200 kilograms and a cross-sectional area of 0.4 m2. Using Archimedes' principle, the weight of the barrel will sink until it is equal to the weight of water displaced. To solve for the draft, the volume and density of water displaced need to be determined. The solution also requires using the density of sea water for accurate calculations.
kyaranger

Homework Statement

The oil drum floats in such a way that one circular end is always directly up. The total mass of drum is 200 kilograms. The drum has a cross-sectional area of 0.4 m2, and the North Sea is level.

What is the draft (the distance from the surface to the deepest point of the barrel at equilibrium) of the barrel?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't begin to solve it because I have no idea how to begin.

I could use a good initial starting position because I am completely clueless about this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
A good starting point is to remember Archimedes principle: The barrel will sink until the weight of water displaced equals the weight of the barrel.

So, the weight of the barrel is Fw = ma = 200kg * 9.8 m/s^2

So the amount of water displaced is equal to that.

Can I replace Mass of water displaced with m = volume * density (density of water * 200kg of water displaced). Solve for volume, then for volume I can substitute w * l * h? solve for h?

" m = volume * density "
Yep, except w*l is no good for a cylinder.

"(density of water * 200kg of water displaced)" is no good: gets you kg^2/m^3
to get meters, you want something like kg / (kg/m^3 * m^2)

The problem statement gives the cross sectional area of the drum. So you need to determine what height of a cylindrical shaped amount of water has this weight. I would think that you need to use the density of sea water though for this calculation.

1. What is the draft of the barrel?

The draft of a barrel refers to the distance between the top of the barrel and the liquid surface inside the barrel. It is also known as the ullage or headspace. This measurement is important for determining the amount of liquid contained in the barrel and can impact the aging process of the content.

2. How is the draft of the barrel measured?

The draft of the barrel is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a gauging rod or dipstick. The rod is inserted into the barrel and the measurement is taken from the top of the barrel to the liquid surface. The measurement is then converted into a volume measurement, usually in gallons or liters.

3. Why is the draft of the barrel important?

The draft of the barrel is important for several reasons. It allows for accurate tracking of the volume of liquid inside the barrel, which is essential for inventory management and taxation purposes. It also plays a role in the aging process of the content, as a larger draft can lead to increased oxygen exposure and potentially affect the flavor and quality of the liquid.

4. Does the draft of the barrel change over time?

Yes, the draft of the barrel can change over time due to various factors such as evaporation, absorption by the wood, and temperature fluctuations. This is why it is important to regularly measure and monitor the draft to ensure accurate volume measurements and to make any necessary adjustments during the aging process.

5. How does the draft of the barrel affect the aging process?

The draft of the barrel can impact the aging process in a few ways. A smaller draft can result in less oxygen exposure, which can slow down the aging process. On the other hand, a larger draft can lead to increased oxygen exposure and potentially accelerate the aging process. Additionally, changes in the draft can also affect the concentration and extraction of flavor compounds from the wood, which can impact the overall flavor profile of the liquid.