Understanding the Identity Element in Finite Abelian Groups

In summary, G has a finite number of elements and it's associative, has an identity element and an inverse, and is also commutative. Squaring the product of the elements of G leads to the identity element e. If the group has elements of order 2, this is necessary to consider.
Ledger
This is not homework. Self-study. And I'm really enjoying it. But, as I'm going through this book ("A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter) every so often I run into a problem or concept I don't understand.

Let G be a finite abelian group, say G = (e,a1, a2, a3,...,an).

Prove that (a1*a2*...an)^2 = e.

So, it has a finite number of elements and it's a group. So it's associative, has an identity element and an inverse as elements of G, and as it's abelian so it's also commutative. But I don't see how squaring the product of its elements leads to the identity element e.

Wait. Writing this has me thinking that each element might be being 'multiplied' by it's inverse yielding e for every pair, which when all mutiplied together still yields e, even when ultimately squared. Could that be the answer, even though I may not have stated it elegantly? There's no one I can ask so I brought it to this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ledger said:
Wait. Writing this has me thinking that each element might be being 'multiplied' by it's inverse yielding e for every pair, which when all mutiplied together still yields e, even when ultimately squared. Could that be the answer, even though I may not have stated it elegantly? There's no one I can ask so I brought it to this forum.

You're on the right track. But the product is squared for a reason. What if your group has elements of order 2? This won't cause problems, but it's necessary to consider it.

'If the group has elements of order 2' I don't really understand that. The terminology in this book I understand (so far) is if the group is of order 2 that means it is a finite group with two elements.

Things are sometimes squared to get rid of a negative sign. But if the elements are numbers I would think that multiplying a negative number by its inverse (which would also be negative so the outcome is 1) would take care of that. But perhaps not so I'll go with squaring would knock a negative out of the final e. Is that it?

What spamiam means is that there might be an element [itex]a_i[/itex] such that [itex]a_i=a_i^{-1}[/itex]. In that case, your proof would not hold anymore. Indeed, its inverse does not occur in the list since it equals [itex]a_i[/itex].

So there could be an element of G that equals its own inverse. So squaring the product insures that this is reduced to e as well? Since they equal each other they should square to identity I think. Is this it?

Thanks for your help!

1. What is group theory and what is it used for?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third. It is used in many areas of mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, and physics, to understand symmetry and patterns in different systems.

2. What are the basic concepts in group theory?

The basic concepts in group theory include the definition of a group, group operations (such as multiplication and addition), group inverses, identity elements, and subgroups. Other important concepts include group homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and cosets.

3. How is group theory related to real-world applications?

Group theory has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of chemistry, physics, and cryptography. For example, group theory is used to understand molecular symmetry in chemistry, to describe the behavior of particles in physics, and to develop secure encryption algorithms in cryptography.

4. What are some common examples of groups?

Some common examples of groups include the integers under addition, the real numbers under multiplication, and the symmetries of a regular polygon. Other examples include the set of all invertible matrices under matrix multiplication, the set of all rotations of a cube, and the set of all permutations of a set of objects.

5. What are some open problems in group theory?

Some open problems in group theory include the classification of finite simple groups, the existence of infinite simple groups, and the study of the growth of groups. Other open problems include the investigation of subgroups of infinite groups and the relationship between group theory and other areas of mathematics, such as topology and number theory.