Let's Make a Deal Event: Odds of Switching for a Win

• Thread starter matt010nj
  • Start date
In summary, the event is biased in favor of the switch because the host can't open your door and can't open the winning door.
matt010nj
what explanation stands behind "let's make a deal"'s evenement? As i remember there are 3 doors : one with a car behind,and two with goats. After you choose 1 of three doors - they show you one door where there is a goat ,than give you a chance to switch the door and - as my friend claims - you should always switch a door because of the odds but he only read that in some article and can't explain.
How is it more probable that the "switch" is correct choice since it seems 50% chance that you have the right door already?
The only explanation I can see is that you already had one chance and you guessed "right" not taking the one witch the goat they show you , but the switch alone looks still as a fresh 50/50 to me... :(
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to see that problem the right way. 1/3 of the time, you have already made the correct choice. But in 2/3 of the cases--since he has shown a goat, switching is to the correct door.

If it really bothers you, you can work it out with pieces of papers. Given three choices A,B,C, just place the correct choice at A 1/3 of the time, similarly at B and C. Then making the same choice on all occasions, say A, pick up the papers from the blank side, and switch. The secret is that the door opened shows a goat.

robert Ihnot said:
You just have to see that problem the right way. 1/3 of the time, you have already made the correct choice. But in 2/3 of the cases--since he has shown a goat, switching is to the correct door.

If it really bothers you, you can work it out with pieces of papers. Given three choices A,B,C, just place the correct choice at A 1/3 of the time, similarly at B and C. Then making the same choice on all occasions, say A, pick up the papers from the blank side, and switch. The secret is that the door opened shows a goat.

Does it mean that I need to see it as whole one event in order the switch on the end to be correct choice?Like in poker with a flush draw after the flop- 50/50(but I have to see the river) instead of 25% on turn +25% on river?

matt010nj, I don't understand your question but I have an analogy that might help your intuition...

Suppose that, instead of three doors, you have a million! Only one door out of the million doors has the car. Pick a door, any door! What are the chances that you've won a car?

After you've picked your door, let me help you out by opening 999,998 doors so that there are only two left closed: the door you chose and some other door. None of the 999,998 open doors revealed the car so you know that it must be behind one of the two doors left closed.

Do you want to change your guess?

mathman said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

This is a well known "paradox". Look at the above.

ok I got it now,thanks
:) I Think in reality its similar to paradox about how hare never catches a turtle to whom he gave a head start :)

matt010nj said:
ok I got it now,thanks
:) I Think in reality its similar to paradox about how hare never catches a turtle to whom he gave a head start :)

It has no connection to the hare catching turtle paradox.

mathman said:
It has no connection to the hare catching turtle paradox.

why ? it is mathematicly/teoreticly correct but in real world just doesn't work just like turtle/hare(unless we treat it as whole event and ask about "switching" in advance).Am I wrong here?
My thinking is : at the point of choice - switch or not - we have two doors to choose from.

The fact that the host can't open your door and can't open the winning door biases the event

What is the "Let's Make a Deal Event"?

The "Let's Make a Deal Event" is a popular game show where contestants are given the opportunity to win prizes by making decisions and taking risks.

How does the "Let's Make a Deal Event" work?

In the game, the host presents the contestant with three doors, one of which hides a valuable prize. The contestant chooses a door, and then the host reveals the prize behind one of the remaining doors. The contestant is then given the option to either keep their original door or switch to the other remaining door.

What are the odds of winning if you switch doors in the "Let's Make a Deal Event"?

The odds of winning if you switch doors in the "Let's Make a Deal Event" are 2/3 or approximately 66.7%. This is because there is a 2/3 chance that the prize is behind one of the other two doors, and switching doors will reveal that prize.

Why do the odds of winning increase if you switch doors in the "Let's Make a Deal Event"?

The odds of winning increase if you switch doors in the "Let's Make a Deal Event" because the host's decision to reveal one of the remaining doors after the contestant has made their initial choice gives the contestant new information. By switching doors, the contestant is essentially choosing between their original door and the other two doors, which has a higher chance of hiding the prize.

Are there any other factors that affect the odds of winning in the "Let's Make a Deal Event"?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the odds of winning in the "Let's Make a Deal Event". For example, if the host has a preference for revealing certain doors, this could potentially skew the odds. Additionally, if the contestant has any information or intuition about the location of the prize, this could also affect their decision to switch doors.