Calculating Work to Lift Kite String from Ground: A Puzzle

In summary, the problem involves a kite flying at a height of 500 ft and a horizontal distance of 100 ft from the stringholder on the ground. The kite string follows a parabolic function and weighs 1/16 oz/ft. The question asks to calculate the work done in lifting the string from the ground to its present position. To solve this, one can use the concept of potential energy and consider the work done to move an infinitely small portion of the string. This can be expressed as an integral with respect to the arc-length of the parabolic curve. Alternatively, one can also calculate the work done to move the entire string from the ground to the y-coordinate of the centroid of the curve.
sinas
Hi - Here's the entire problem to avoid confusion ><

"A kite is flying at a height of 500 ft and at a horizontal distance of 100 ft from the stringholder on the ground. The kite string weighs 1/16 oz/ft and is hanging in the shape of the parabola y=(x^2)/20 that joins the stringholder at (0,0) to the kite at (100,500). Calculate the work (in foot pounds) done in lifting the kite string from the ground to its present position."

I've been messing with arc length of the parabola because I think there might be a way to solve it with that, but I really don't know... Can someone give me a hint??

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to point out first and foremost that that question is flawed because hanging strings follow hyperbolic not parabolic functions. The potential energy gained by moving the kite from the ground to its current position is equal to the work done to move it there. Consider how much work it takes to move an infinitely small portion of that kite string up a height h where h varies according to the parabolic function h = (x^2)/20. Sum these together and you have the basics of an integral. Be careful not to integrate with respect to x but with respect to the arc-length though, or express the arclength in terms of x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'm playing with that, but tell me something - if I were to calculate the work moving the entire string from 0 to the y-coordinate of the centroid of the curve, that wouldn't work, right? (no pun intended)

If I understand what you're trying to do right yes that would work. The centroid is the center of mass after all since the mass is distributed evenly along the string.

What is the purpose of calculating work to lift kite string from ground?

The purpose of calculating work to lift kite string from ground is to determine the amount of energy required to lift the string and keep the kite in the air. This can help in designing the appropriate kite string and determining the best way to fly the kite.

What factors affect the amount of work required to lift kite string from ground?

The amount of work required to lift kite string from ground is affected by several factors, including the weight of the kite, the length and thickness of the string, the wind conditions, and the height of the kite.

How is work calculated to lift kite string from ground?

The work to lift kite string from ground is calculated by multiplying the force applied (in this case, the weight of the kite) by the distance the object is lifted (in this case, the height of the kite). The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What are the units of measurement for work?

The units of measurement for work are joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m). Joules are used in the metric system, while newton-meters are used in the SI system. Both units represent the same amount of energy.

How can calculating work to lift kite string from ground be useful in other areas of science?

Calculating work to lift kite string from ground can be useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and aerodynamics. It can also be applied to other scenarios, such as lifting weights, moving objects, or launching rockets.