Reporting the results of a wilcoxon matched pair test

• Thread starter MBCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair Test
In summary, a Wilcoxon matched pair test is a statistical method used to compare two related samples or repeated measurements from the same group. It should be used when the data is not normally distributed or when the sample size is small. It differs from a t-test in that it is non-parametric and used for related samples. The results of a Wilcoxon matched pair test include a test statistic and p-value, with a p-value of less than 0.05 indicating a significant difference between the samples. The test has no assumptions about the distribution of the data, but does assume that the observations within each pair are dependent and that the differences between the two samples are independent and identically distributed. Additionally, the scale of measurement should be
MBCT
I've done 3 wilcoxon matched pair tests and was wondering if someone could give me some advise on the most logical / correct way to report the results.

test 1:
pre post
1.98 1.56
1.09 2.49
2.18 2.94
1.13 1.29
1.23 2.38

result: Z = -1.438, two tail p = 0.138

So I was thinking of reporting that...
"A wilcoxon matched pairs test was performed to determine if the increase was significant. The mean (median?) gain (M=0.61, SD=0.74, N=5) was greater than zero, Z=-1.48, two tail p=0.138, but not enough to provide evidence that there was statistically significant improvement"

test 2:
Pre Post
39.0 41.4
30.7 31.1
58.7 54.6
48.2 50.9
53.4 58.2

result: Z = -0.94, two tail p = 0.345

"A wilcoxon matched pairs test was performed to determine if the increase was significant. The mean (median?) gain (M=1.24, SD=3.368, N=5) was slightly greater than zero, Z=-0.94, two tail p=0.345, providing no evidence that there was statistically significant improvement"

test 3:
pre post
29.8 52.6
23.7 34.0
18.1 57.7
12.5 48.2
16.1 35.3

"A wilcoxon matched pairs test was performed to determine if the increase was significant. The mean (median?) gain (M=25.52, SD=12.051, N=5) was greater than zero, Z=-2.023, two tail p=0.043, providing evidence that there was statistically significant improvement"

Questions:
1. should I specify in my description the range given that test 1 looks worse than test 2, but a 0.61 mean change is actually a lot better for this test than a 1.24 mean change?
2. given that wilcoxon compares the medians should I not talk about the mean change at all?
3. although I can't say that wilcoxon shows that the treatment between pre and post was effective given that there is no control, am I ok saying that wilcoxon showed statistically significant improvement in test 3?
4. should I be saying something about Confidence Intervals in the description despite wilcoxon not calculating these?
5. what is Z? am I referring to it correctly or should I be calling it something else in the reporting of the result?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. It may be helpful to include the range in your description, especially if there is a large difference between the two tests. However, it is not necessary to include this information if the mean change is more informative for your analysis.
2. Since Wilcoxon compares the medians, it may be more accurate to report the median change instead of the mean change. However, it is still acceptable to report the mean change as long as you specify that it is the mean and not the median.
3. Yes, you can say that Wilcoxon showed statistically significant improvement in test 3. It is important to note that this is in comparison to the null hypothesis, not to a control group.
4. Since Wilcoxon does not calculate confidence intervals, it is not necessary to include them in your description. However, if you have calculated confidence intervals using another method, it may be helpful to include them in your results.
5. Z is the test statistic used in Wilcoxon matched pair tests. It is appropriate to refer to it as Z in your reporting of the results.

1. What is a Wilcoxon matched pair test?

A Wilcoxon matched pair test is a statistical method used to compare two related samples or repeated measurements from the same group. It is often used when the data is not normally distributed or when the sample size is small.

2. When should I use a Wilcoxon matched pair test?

A Wilcoxon matched pair test should be used when you have two related samples or repeated measurements from the same group and the data does not follow a normal distribution. It is also appropriate when the sample size is small.

3. What is the difference between a Wilcoxon matched pair test and a t-test?

A Wilcoxon matched pair test is a non-parametric test, meaning it makes no assumptions about the distribution of the data, while a t-test is a parametric test that assumes the data is normally distributed. Additionally, a Wilcoxon matched pair test is used for related samples, while a t-test is used for independent samples.

4. How do I interpret the results of a Wilcoxon matched pair test?

The results of a Wilcoxon matched pair test will give you a test statistic and a p-value. The test statistic represents the strength of the relationship between the two samples, and the p-value tells you the likelihood of obtaining the observed results if there was no true difference between the two samples. If the p-value is less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05), then you can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant difference between the two samples.

5. What are the assumptions of a Wilcoxon matched pair test?

A Wilcoxon matched pair test does not have any assumptions about the distribution of the data, but it does assume that the observations within each pair are dependent and the differences between the two samples are independent and identically distributed. It also assumes that the scale of measurement is at least ordinal.