Tech: Simplify LaTeX Thesis Compilation with TeXnicCenter Macros

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter marcio
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for a way to process commands in TeXnicCenter without having to manually type them into the Windows command line every time there is a new addition to the document. They suggest using a utility program like "texify" or "latexmk" from the TeX distribution to automatically run makeindex, bibtex, and rerun latex for accurate cross referencing. The speaker has tried using "texify" with some success but it did not update the nomenclature.
marcio
Hi all,

Is there a way of getting TeXnicCenter to process these commands so I don't have to type them into the windows command line everytime something new is written?

latex thesis
makeindex thesis.nlo -s nomencl.ist -o thesis.nls
bibtex thesis
latex thesis
latex thesis
pdflatex thesis
start thesis.pdf

Or maybe a script I could load from the command prompt on Windows 8?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Offroad

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't specific to TeXnicCenter, but see if your TeX distribution has a utility program like "texify" or "latexmk".

They can automatically run makeindex, bibtex, etc if required, and rerun latex to get the cross references correct.

AlephZero said:
This isn't specific to TeXnicCenter, but see if your TeX distribution has a utility program like "texify" or "latexmk".

They can automatically run makeindex, bibtex, etc if required, and rerun latex to get the cross references correct.

I'm using MikTeX.

'texify -p thesis.tex' worked well but not like a charm! It didn't update the nomenclature!

Thanks!

Last edited:

What is TeXnicCenter?

TeXnicCenter is a free and open-source LaTeX editor and compiler, designed specifically for Windows operating systems. It provides users with an easy-to-use interface for writing and compiling LaTeX documents.

What are macros in TeXnicCenter?

Macros in TeXnicCenter are predefined commands or sequences of commands that can be executed with a single keystroke or mouse click. They can be used to simplify and automate certain tasks, such as compiling a LaTeX document.

How do I create a macro in TeXnicCenter?

To create a macro in TeXnicCenter, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Customize...". In the "Customize" window, go to the "Tools" tab and click on "Macros". Then, click on the "Add" button to create a new macro. You can then assign a name, description, and command to the macro.

How can macros simplify the compilation of my LaTeX thesis?

Macros can simplify the compilation of your LaTeX thesis by automating the process. For example, you can create a macro that includes all necessary compilation commands and settings, so that you can compile your thesis with just one click instead of typing out each command individually.

Can I customize macros in TeXnicCenter?

Yes, you can customize macros in TeXnicCenter by editing their names, descriptions, and commands. You can also assign them to specific toolbar buttons or keyboard shortcuts for easy access. Additionally, you can import and export macros for use on different computers.