What are the dangers of Al-gebra and the use of weapons of math instruction?

In summary: You're all going to Math Hell. :tongue2:In summary, a public school teacher was arrested at New York's Kennedy airport for possessing math-related tools and is being charged by the FBI for carrying weapons of math instruction. The man is believed to be a member of the Al-gebra movement, which uses secret code names and seeks average solutions. When asked about the arrest, President Bush joked about needing more fingers and toes for better math instruction. The conversation ended with a discussion about the post being a repeat from the past.
Cyrus
Teacher Arrested...

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a
public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in
possession of a ruler, a protractor, a set square, a slide rule, and a
calculator.

At a morning press conference, the attorney general said he believes the man
is a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement. He is being charged by the
FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," a Justice Department spokesman said. "They
desire average solutions by means and extremes, an d sometimes go off on
tangents in a search of absolute value. They use secret code names like 'x'
and 'y' and refer to themselves as 'unknowns', but we have determined they
belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in
every country. As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, 'there are 3
sides to every triangle'."

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted
us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more
fingers and toes"

Ha, I got this email today from a friend. It's good for a chuckle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interestingly enough, the word "algebra" comes from the Arabic word al-ǧabr, so calling it "al-gebra" isn't too far off.

Thats why its called a pun.

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes

I agree completely!

Oh, and just for the record, I was no where near New York City.

BobG said:
Oh, and just for the record, I was no where near New York City.
But, you could have been. You were already in the country, and you had access to a car with which you could have driven to the local airport, and taken a flight to NY City. Very suspicious if you ask me. :rofl: And the very fact that you mentioned New York City proves that you know something about it. :biggrin:

And why do need so many sliderules?

wasn't this already posted on here before?

Gale said:
Déjà Vu, all over again. :rolleyes: I think we've been here before. :biggrin:

Gale said:

...oops :shy:

gooooood job. its in the jokes thread. how could you not have read the jokes thread?

Its 23 pages long, I ant reading 23 pages of jokes.

On another note: there are no weapons of math desturaction in Iterangal.

Gale said:
gooooood job. its in the jokes thread. how could you not have read the jokes thread?

Its not in the jokes thread, I could not find it.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Its not in the jokes thread, I could not find it.

no? try the top of page 9.

damn you woman...:grumpy: (shakes my fist at gale)

Last edited:
OLD! Man I remember hearing this well over a year ago, damn! :tongue2:

Thread LOCKED!

Old, but mildly amusing. And its Al-jabr you infidel. :grumpy:

What is the concept of "Weapons of math instruction"?

"Weapons of math instruction" is a play on the phrase "weapons of mass destruction" and refers to the power and impact of mathematics in our daily lives. It highlights the idea that math can be both a tool for good and a weapon for harm, depending on how it is used.

What are some examples of "Weapons of math instruction"?

Some examples of "Weapons of math instruction" include the use of statistics to manipulate public opinion, the development of algorithms that perpetuate systemic biases, and the creation of complex financial systems that contribute to economic inequality.

How does the concept of "Weapons of math instruction" apply to education?

In education, "Weapons of math instruction" can refer to the ways in which traditional teaching methods and standardized testing can limit students' understanding and enjoyment of math. It also highlights the need for critical thinking and a more holistic approach to teaching math.

What can be done to mitigate the negative effects of "Weapons of math instruction"?

To minimize the harmful impacts of "Weapons of math instruction," it is important to promote a diverse and inclusive perspective in math education. This can include incorporating real-world applications, encouraging open-ended problem-solving, and promoting a growth mindset.

Why is it important to be aware of "Weapons of math instruction"?

Being aware of "Weapons of math instruction" is crucial because it allows us to critically evaluate the use of math in various contexts and identify how it can be used to perpetuate systemic inequalities. It also highlights the responsibility of educators and policymakers to use math as a tool for positive change.