How Do You Convert Cubic Centimeters to Cubic Meters?

In summary, to convert 5.43 x 10^6 cm^3 to cubic meters, you can use the conversion factor of .01 meters per centimeter. This gives a result of 4.3 cubic meters. Another way to do this is to directly multiply (.01)^3 by 10^6 to get 5.43 meters.
jle1092
How many cubic meters are in 5.43 x 10^6 cm^3?

There are .001 meters in the centimeter.
m= meter cm= centimeter

This is what I did:

5.43 x 10^6 cm^3 (.01m/1 cm)^3

And then did the calculations, which gave me:

.0000043 x 10^6 m^3 or 4.3 m^3.

Not sure if I set up the equation correctly or if I solved it properly. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to the "5"? Was that a typo? I presume you meant "5.43 m^3".

A slightly simpler way to do this is, instead of multiplying the 5.43 by (.01)^3= .000001 and then incorporating it into the 10^6, to directly multiply (.01)^3= (10^-2)^3= 10^-6 by 10^6 to get just "5.43 x10^(6-6)= 5.43 x 10^0= 5.43m"

1. How do you convert from one metric unit to another?

To convert from one metric unit to another, you will need to use a conversion factor. A conversion factor is a value that relates two different units of measurement. For example, to convert from meters to centimeters, you would use a conversion factor of 100 (since 1 meter is equal to 100 centimeters). You can then multiply your original value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent measurement in the new unit.

2. What is the basic unit of measurement in the metric system?

The basic unit of measurement in the metric system is the meter for length, the gram for mass, and the liter for volume. These units are used as the building blocks for larger or smaller measurements in the metric system.

3. What are some commonly used prefixes in the metric system?

Some commonly used prefixes in the metric system include kilo (k), centi (c), and milli (m). Kilo means 1000, so 1 kilometer is equal to 1000 meters. Centi means 1/100, so 1 centimeter is equal to 0.01 meters. Milli means 1/1000, so 1 milliliter is equal to 0.001 liters.

4. How do you convert between metric and imperial units?

To convert between metric and imperial units, you will need to use conversion factors. These conversion factors can be found online or in conversion charts. For example, to convert from meters to feet, you would use a conversion factor of 3.28 (since 1 meter is equal to 3.28 feet). You can then multiply your original value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent measurement in the new unit.

5. Why is the metric system used in science?

The metric system is used in science because it is a universal system of measurement that is based on decimals and is easy to use and understand. This makes it easier for scientists from different countries to communicate and share data. Additionally, the metric system is based on consistent units and prefixes, making it easier to convert between different units of measurement.