Solving Vectors: Find Dot & Cross Prods of OX,YX & OY,YX

In summary: What did you do?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dot and cross products in solving vector problems. The dot product is a scalar quantity and can be calculated by multiplying the components of two vectors. The cross product is a vector quantity and can be calculated using the determinant method. The magnitude of the cross product represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors, and the area of the triangle can be found by dividing the magnitude by 2. Negative components in the cross product are acceptable and do not affect the final result.
Kawakaze

Homework Statement

I already made a start to this question, the position vectors below are worked out in the first part of it, I am 99% sure they are correct so, on to the bit I am stuck on. :)

A player stands with his feet at the point O and serves the ball from a point Y at
a height of 2.4000m vertically above O. Assume that the ball then travels in a
straight line directly over the net at the midpoint A, which is at a height of
0.9144 m, before bouncing at the point X.

diagram here = https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32722&d=1299067106

find the dot product of the following position vectors, OX & YX, hence find the angle between them

a=OX=[19.2038i, 6.6475j, 0k]
b=YX=[19.2038i, 6.6475j, -2.4k]

find the cross product of the following position vectors, OY & YX, hence find the area of the triangle they form

a=OY=[0i, 0j, 2.4k]
b=YX=[19.2038i, 6.6475j, -2.4k]

Homework Equations

a(dot)b = |a||b|cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
a x b = absin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to work this with vectors, I've come across vectors before and the dot and cross product before, but never the two together.

Some hints would be great. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the products with their Cartesian components:

[tex]
A \cdot B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z
[/tex]

[tex]
A \times B = \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \hat i \ \ \ \hat j \ \ \ \hat k \ \ \\ A_x \ A_y \ A_z \ \\ B_x \ B_y \ B_z \ \\ \end{array} \right|
[/tex]

So that would be

19.2038*19.2038i + 6.6475*6.6475j + 0*-2.4k = |a||b|cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

what are the a and b terms on the RHS related too?

btw thanks for speedy response :)

The dot product is a scalar quantity. So drop the i,j,k.
|a| is the magnitude of vector A.
|b| is the magnitude of vector B.
θ is the angle between the vectors.

One thing that's troubling me, is the -2.4k term correct? that would be b3 on the cross product part of the question

Ive just run the numbers and for the cross product and i get

a x b = -15.954i + 46.0891j + 0k

How does this apply to the area of a triangle?

Last edited:
Kawakaze said:
One thing that's troubling me, is the -2.4k term correct? that would be b3 on the cross product part of the question

"Correct" in what sense? I didn't check your derivation of the vectors. I only offered a way to compute the dot and cross products from them.

If one or more components of the vectors happens to be zero, it doesn't invalidate the methods; They are general.

I mean is it ok to have a negative term in these general methods? if you look at my post above, youll see what i got at the end of it. I can work out the area of the triangle the normal way and it doesn't match with this result

Kawakaze said:
I mean is it ok to have a negative term in these general methods? if you look at my post above, youll see what i got at the end of it. I can work out the area of the triangle the normal way and it doesn't match with this result

A negative component in the cross product is okay; it's a vector normal to the plane that the two vectors define. What's the magnitude of the result? That should be the area of the parallelogram defined by the two vectors. The area of the triangle would be half of that.

I get the magnitude to be 52.417, so the area of the triangle is half of this =26.2085

I tried to check it using 1/2bh, which is 0.5 x 19.2038 x 2.4 = 23.0446

Id expect the area of the triangle to be the same no matter which method I used, so its clear something is wrong here. :)

For your vectors

a = [0i, 0j, 2.4k]
b = [19.2038i, 6.6475j, -2.4k]

I get the cross product a x b = [-15.954, 46.089, 0]

It's magnitude is |a x b| = 48.772

So that the area of the triangle is 48.772/2 = 24.386

When I work out the area of the triangle "manually", I get the same number.

Related to Solving Vectors: Find Dot & Cross Prods of OX,YX & OY,YX

1. What are dot and cross products of vectors?

Dot and cross products are mathematical operations performed on two vectors to obtain a scalar or vector result, respectively. The dot product results in a scalar quantity while the cross product results in a vector quantity. These operations are used in vector algebra and have applications in physics and engineering.

2. How do you find the dot product of two vectors?

To find the dot product of two vectors, multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and add the results. For example, if vector A = (a1, a2, a3) and vector B = (b1, b2, b3), then the dot product is given by A · B = (a1 * b1) + (a2 * b2) + (a3 * b3). The dot product can also be calculated using the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them: A · B = |A| * |B| * cos(theta).

3. How do you find the cross product of two vectors?

To find the cross product of two vectors, first find a third vector that is perpendicular to both vectors (this is known as the cross vector). Then, use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the resulting vector. Finally, the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them: A x B = |A| * |B| * sin(theta).

4. What is the difference between dot and cross products?

The main difference between dot and cross products is the type of result they yield. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, which represents the magnitude of the projection of one vector onto the other. The cross product, on the other hand, results in a vector quantity, which is perpendicular to both input vectors and has a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

5. How are dot and cross products used in physics?

Dot and cross products have various applications in physics, including calculating work, torque, and magnetic fields. The dot product is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object, while the cross product is used to calculate the torque exerted on an object. Additionally, the cross product is used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire.