Problem with Unicode (Previewing Gamma, etc.)

• Thread starter jeff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the functionality of previewing Unicode characters in different browsers. It is found that Safari and Internet Explorer do not properly display the Unicode characters, while Mozilla and Konqueror do. The speaker expresses gratitude for the usefulness of this feature on Mac OS X, which natively supports Unicode. They also apologize for not testing with different browsers before asking for help.
jeff
Science Advisor
For example, previewing Gamma; converts it to Γ in the text box. Previewing again then displays a question mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
Testing... Γ

Testing... Γ Δ

Works fine for me jeff. What browser are you using?

- Warren

Okay, you're right. I have the problem with both safari (I have a mac running the latest os, 10.3.3) and explorer. But not only does it work fine on mozilla, but previewing converts the unicode into the corresponding characters right in the text box! This is extremely useful for me since mac os x supports unicode natively, which includes the standard text editing app that comes with it.

Anyway, I should've tried a different browser before bothering you. Sorry about that and thanks.

I'll have to try it with explorer to see what happens...

- Warren

Yeah your right, Firefox previews the unicode correctly while Konqueror, the open source browser where Safari got its code from, displays a question mark.

1. What is Unicode?

Unicode is a character encoding system that was developed to represent all the characters used in writing systems around the world. It assigns a unique code to each character, making it possible for computers to store and exchange text data in a standardized manner.

2. What is the problem with Unicode?

One of the main problems with Unicode is its support for characters that are rarely used or have multiple representations. This can lead to compatibility issues, as different devices and software may interpret these characters differently.

3. What is "Previewing Gamma" in relation to Unicode?

"Previewing Gamma" refers to a feature in Unicode that allows for the previewing of different gamma values for certain characters. This is often used to test the appearance of characters in different settings, such as on different screens or in different lighting conditions.

4. How is Unicode different from other character encoding systems?

Unicode differs from other character encoding systems in its ability to represent characters from multiple writing systems in a single character set. This allows for seamless communication and data exchange between different languages and cultures.

5. How can I solve the problem with Unicode?

The best way to address the problem with Unicode is to ensure that all devices and software are using the same version of Unicode and to regularly update to the latest version. Additionally, using best practices for character encoding and testing for compatibility can help prevent issues with Unicode.