Long quotes are not visible completely in the post preview

• Bug
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary: But I have had similar problems in the past related to global zoom factor settings.For example, on the PF home page there is a bar on the right for recent threads, hot threads, members online and so on.For many years, I never saw that or knew that it existed until one day when I took away that large text option in Windows.It is not just Windows.On other OS I also have seen serious problems caused by zoom magnification.It must be a difficult and obscure problem for GUI programmers.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When I refer to something from a different website, I try to quote the necessary parts so as to preserve the information in case of a link rot. While doing the same in this thread, the part inside the quote became quite large. When I clicked on "Preview", I could see only a small part of what was inside the quote:

EdbYlcycQ8HMvBm-Za8BIvHY4QtQ3GqvGk2AKeLx7hFw=w2400.png

This seems to be a bug throughout the site; I tested in this forum and the outcome was the same.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Copy the following into a reply box:
Code:
[QUOTE]
To work around this issue, either add the [ICODE]ForceShellExecute[/ICODE] subkey, if it is not present, and set the Value data, or if it is present, set the Value data of the [ICODE]ForceShellExecute[/ICODE] subkey.

Adding the Internet Subkey to the Registry and Setting the Value Data

1. Quit any programs that are running.

2. Select Start, and then select Run. Type [ICODE]regedit[/ICODE] in the Open box, and then select OK.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to one of the following subkeys (create the keys when they do not exist):

For a 32-Bit version of Office on 64-bit version of Windows
[ICODE]HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet\[/ICODE]

For a 32-Bit version of Office on 32-bit version of Windows
[ICODE]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet[/ICODE]

For a 64-Bit version of Office on 64-bit version of Windows
[ICODE]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet[/ICODE]

4. Make sure the Internet subkey is selected. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then select DWORD Value. Add the following registry value:

Value Name: [ICODE]ForceShellExecute[/ICODE]

5. Double-click [ICODE]ForceShellExecute[/ICODE], and then set the Value data to 1. Select OK.

6. On the Registry menu, select Exit.[/QUOTE]

2. Click on "Preview" button.

This also happens when I post the reply: only that small portion is initially visible. Upon refreshing the page, the full quote is visible. Unfortunately, refreshing the page (after saving the draft) closes the preview, and when I generate it again, the same problem crops up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see the full quote, both in the preview and in new posts. I can't reproduce that problem. Firefox.

I too see the whole thing.

But I have had similar problems in the past related to global zoom factor settings. In particular, when under display settings I selected the option to show text at 150% of normal, then portions of some web pages or dialog windows disappear off the edge of my screen and there is no way to scroll for them. If the invisible part contains the button to close the window, that causes big problems.

For example, on the PF home page there is a bar on the right for recent threads, hot threads, members online and so on. For many years, I never saw that or knew that it existed until one day when I took away that large text option in Windows.

It is not just Windows. On other OS I also have seen serious problems caused by zoom magnification. It must be a difficult and obscure problem for GUI programmers.

mfb said:
I can see the full quote, both in the preview and in new posts. I can't reproduce that problem. Firefox.
anorlunda said:
I too see the whole thing.
I have been facing the same problem multiple times since last month. Seems to be suddenly solved. Something is fishy 🤔
anorlunda said:
In particular, when under display settings I selected the option to show text at 150% of normal, then portions of some web pages or dialog windows disappear off the edge of my screen and there is no way to scroll for them.
My zoom is set at 125%, that could cause the problem. Next time I encounter it, I will try changing the zoom.

What causes long quotes to not be visible in the post preview?

Long quotes may not be visible in the post preview due to character limits set by the platform or formatting issues.

How can I make sure my long quotes are visible in the post preview?

To ensure your long quotes are visible in the post preview, try breaking them up into smaller chunks or using a different formatting style.

Why are long quotes important in scientific writing?

Long quotes are important in scientific writing because they provide evidence and support for your arguments or findings. They also allow for the inclusion of expert opinions and perspectives.

Can I use long quotes in my scientific paper?

Yes, you can use long quotes in your scientific paper, but it is important to use them sparingly and only when necessary. It is also important to properly cite the source of the quote.

Are there any alternatives to using long quotes in scientific writing?

Yes, instead of using long quotes, you can paraphrase the information or summarize it in your own words. This can help avoid issues with visibility in the post preview and also allows you to better integrate the information into your own writing.