Hyperdrive Feasibility: German and US Army Developments | New Scientist

• Thread starter Nevek
  • Start date
In summary, the German scientist Heim has worked on an hyperdrive system that the US army is now working on a feasibility project. The article does not cite any specific papers, and there are some problems with the theory. However, the idea is intriguing and the US military should take an interest in it.
Nevek
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevek said:
Ok i send this topic only for information about that topic. If some one have information and plan about that just post your reply. For Instance I got something interesting about that topic. A german have worked on an hyperdrive system and the US army is now working on a feasibility project. Here the link: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html
If the German is Heim, then some of us have heard of the work.

I'm in the camp of skeptics. It's not proven and the New Scientist article doesn't give much to quell the skepticism. It would be nice if the article cited specific papers.

Some problems I see - "Dröscher and Häuser say that to completely counter Earth's pull on a 150-tonne spacecraft a magnetic field of around 25 tesla would be needed. While that's 500,000 times the strength of Earth's magnetic field, pulsed magnets briefly reach field strengths up to 80 tesla." Steady state fields in superconducting magnets have threshold of about 12 T before they loose their ability to maintain the field.

Scientists at National High Magnetic Field Laboratory have constructed a pulse magnet which generates a field up to 60T, but I believe that is within a small cavity. It is also a transient phenomenon.

Developing the 60-tesla magnet was a challenge for engineers. The magnetic forces are so strong they want to rip apart the magnet, which is why the electromagnetic coils must be wrapped in steel blankets. The outer coil is large enough for a person or two to fit inside; the central core, where the samples are placed for study, is but a few inches across.

I've not heard or read of any substantiation of Heim's theory. Nevertheless, the NASA and US Defense Department are always interested in alternative ideas/theories.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
If the German it Heim, then some of us have heard of the work.

I'm in the camp of skeptics. It's not proven and the New Scientist article doesn't give much to quell the skepticism. It would be nice if the article cited specific papers.

Some problems I see - "Dröscher and Häuser say that to completely counter Earth's pull on a 150-tonne spacecraft a magnetic field of around 25 tesla would be needed. While that's 500,000 times the strength of Earth's magnetic field, pulsed magnets briefly reach field strengths up to 80 tesla." Steady state fields in superconducting magnets have threshold of about 12 T before they loose their ability to maintain the field.

Scientists at National High Magnetic Field Laboratory have constructed a pulse magnet which generates a field up to 60T, but I believe that is within a small cavity. It is also a transient phenomenon.

I've not heard or read of any substantiation of Heim's theory. Nevertheless, the NASA and US Defense Department are always interested in alternative ideas/theories.
It's a GOOD idea for the US Military to take an interest... what they don't want is the Chinese to develop Hyper Drive before they do... otherwise when they get to Mars they might find the Chinese there... with an upper hand...

<< post edited by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is hyperdrive technology and how does it work?

Hyperdrive technology is a theoretical concept that would allow spacecraft to travel at speeds faster than light, making interstellar travel possible. It works by manipulating space-time to create a "warp bubble" around the spacecraft, shortening the distance it needs to travel. This concept is still in the early stages of development and has not yet been proven to be possible.

2. What developments have been made by the German and US armies in hyperdrive technology?

The German and US armies have both been researching and developing hyperdrive technology, but the details of their specific advancements are not publicly known. It is likely that they are focusing on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of the technology rather than practical applications.

3. Is hyperdrive technology feasible and when can we expect it to be available?

At this point in time, hyperdrive technology is not feasible and is still in the realm of science fiction. While there have been some theoretical breakthroughs, there are still many technological and scientific challenges that need to be overcome before it can become a reality. It is impossible to predict when or if hyperdrive technology will become available.

4. What are the potential benefits of hyperdrive technology?

If hyperdrive technology were to become feasible, it would revolutionize space travel and exploration. It would allow us to travel much faster and farther than ever before, making it possible to visit distant planets and potentially even other star systems. This could open up a whole new frontier for scientific research and discovery.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to hyperdrive technology?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks and drawbacks associated with hyperdrive technology. One concern is the immense amount of energy that would be required to create a warp bubble, which could have negative impacts on the environment. There are also concerns about the potential for unintended consequences or unforeseen dangers when manipulating space-time. Further research and testing would be needed to address these potential risks.