A football is thrown upward at a 43 degree angle to the horizontal

In summary, the conversation discusses throwing a football at a 43 degree angle to the horizontal with an acceleration of gravity of 9.8 ms^2. The question asks for the initial speed of the ball in order to throw a 77.8 m pass. The solution may involve using kinematic equations for constant acceleration and considering the vertical and horizontal components separately.
ahsanmhamid
A football is thrown upward at a(n) 43 degree angle
to the horizontal.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 ms^2 :
To throw a(n) 77.8 m pass, what must be
the initial speed of the ball? Answer in units
of ms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, you need to show some work. Are you familiar with the kinematic equations for constant acceleration? Do any apply here?

i need some major help i know the formula for a= vf-vi/t

Try considering vertical and horizontal components separately, and look at the equations I gave you in your other thread. Have a go and I'll guide you, but I'm not going to set up every one of your questions for you.

1. What is the initial velocity of the football when it is thrown upward at a 43 degree angle?

The initial velocity of the football can be calculated using the following formula:
v0 = v * cos(θ)
Where v is the initial velocity of the football and θ is the angle at which it is thrown. In this case, v represents the total velocity of the football, so the initial velocity would be v0 = v * cos(43).

2. How long will the football stay in the air?

The total time the football stays in the air can be calculated using the following formula:
t = (2 * v * sin(θ)) / g
Where t is the total time, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle at which it is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). In this case, the total time would be t = (2 * v * sin(43)) / 9.8.

3. What is the maximum height that the football will reach?

The maximum height that the football will reach can be calculated using the following formula:
h = (v2 * sin2(θ)) / 2g
Where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle at which it is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). In this case, the maximum height would be h = (v2 * sin2(43)) / (2 * 9.8).

4. What is the horizontal distance the football will travel before it hits the ground?

The horizontal distance the football will travel can be calculated using the following formula:
d = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g
Where d is the horizontal distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle at which it is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). In this case, the horizontal distance would be d = (v2 * sin(86)) / 9.8.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of the football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of the football by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This means that the football will not reach the same maximum height or travel the same horizontal distance as it would in a vacuum. The amount of air resistance also depends on the shape and size of the football, as well as the density of the air and the speed at which it is traveling.