News from P.I. workshop on experimental search for QG

In summary, Claus Lammerzahl from Bremen University reported on the success of producing a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) in microgravity through a drop tower experiment. The team was able to create a condensate of 10^4 to 10^5 atoms in just a few milliseconds in a 110 meter drop tube. They hope to further reduce the temperature from the current record of 500 fK to as low as 1 fK. This experiment is part of the search for quantum gravity effects, which are expected to violate the Einstein Equivalence Principle. Laemmerzahl also discussed various strategies and experiments being conducted to test this principle and search for quantum gravity effects.
starkind
News from Claus Lammerzahl, from Bremen, on success yesterday 6 Nov. 07 of production of BEC in microgravity in a drop tower experiment:

Yesterday the first BEC in free fall was produced by a team at Bremen University. A condensate of 10^4 to 10^5 atoms was created in a few milleseconds in a 110 meter drop tube with a free fall time of 4.7 seconds. The capsule is 18 cm in diameter, one or two meters in length. The team hopes to reduce the temperature from the current record of 500 fK (Ketterle) to as low as 1 fK.

Physics news on Phys.org
People are still imitating Galileo and dropping stuff off of towers :cool:

I should think dropping a tin can down the elevator shaft would probably be a lot cheaper than sending a rocket into orbit.

If I remember, Claus Laemmerzahl was one of the people at the Quantum Gravity Experiments workshop. Thanks for the news!

========================
Yes. Here is the summary of his talk:
==quote==
Laemmerzahl, Claus
Possible strategies for the search for quantum gravity induced effects

The search for QG effects has many aspects:

QG effects should violate the Einstein Equivalence Principle (EEP) or fundamentals of Quantum Theory.
QG effects are assumed to be very tiny.
Need for an appropriate experimental strategy.
Which effects are violations of EEP and other fundamental principles?
Which effects are QG effects?

Accordingly, a first approach for the search of QG effects is to search for violations of the EEP. We will describe in a systematic approach given by the structure of the EEP the huge variety of experiments which are needed to test the EEP and report on the present status of these experiments. When available predictions from quantum gravity inspired scenarios will be presented, too. We also describe experiments in the quantum domain. After the main experimental part we also make short remarks on the strategies of a search for quantum gravity effects, on the magnitude of the expected effects, and on criteria of what can be regarded as a quantum gravity effect. Finally we give some information about which experimental accuracies can be expected in the future.
==endquote==

Last edited:

This is exciting news from the P.I. workshop on experimental search for quantum gravity. The success of producing a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) in microgravity is a significant achievement. This experiment opens up new possibilities for studying the behavior of quantum systems in extreme conditions. The ability to reduce the temperature of the BEC to as low as 1 fK is particularly impressive and will provide valuable insights into the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics.

Furthermore, the use of a drop tower experiment adds a unique aspect to this research, as it allows for a longer free fall time and thus a longer observation time for the BEC. This could potentially lead to even more precise measurements and a better understanding of quantum gravity.

I am eager to see the results of this experiment and how it will contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics and its connection to gravity. This is a promising step towards unraveling the mysteries of the universe and I look forward to future developments in this field.

FAQ: News from P.I. workshop on experimental search for QG

1. What is the purpose of the P.I. workshop on experimental search for QG?

The purpose of the workshop is to bring together scientists from different fields to discuss and collaborate on experimental methods for searching for quantum gravity (QG). QG is a theoretical framework that aims to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity, and finding experimental evidence for it would greatly advance our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. Who is organizing the P.I. workshop on experimental search for QG?

The workshop is organized by a team of scientists from various institutions, including universities and research centers, who are experts in the field of quantum gravity and experimental physics. They have come together to create a platform for sharing knowledge and ideas on how to approach the challenging task of searching for QG experimentally.

3. What are some of the experimental methods being discussed at the P.I. workshop?

Some of the experimental methods being discussed at the workshop include high-energy particle collisions, gravitational wave detection, and precision measurements of fundamental constants. These methods aim to probe the fundamental nature of space, time, and matter in order to uncover potential signatures of quantum gravity.

4. What are the expected outcomes of the P.I. workshop on experimental search for QG?

The main expected outcome of the workshop is the exchange of ideas and collaboration among scientists working towards a common goal of searching for quantum gravity experimentally. This may lead to the development of new experimental techniques and approaches, as well as potential collaborations for future experiments.

5. How will the findings from the P.I. workshop contribute to the field of quantum gravity research?

The findings and discussions from the workshop will contribute to the field of quantum gravity research by providing new insights and perspectives on how to approach the challenging task of finding experimental evidence for QG. This will help advance our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially lead to the development of a unified theory of physics.