Solve the simultaneous equation:

• Thread starter d3v3st4t10n
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves solving a system of equations, specifically x+2y=3 and x^2-4y^2=-33. The suggested method is to solve for one variable in the linear equation and substitute it into the quadratic equation. It is also mentioned that taking the square root of a negative value is not possible.
d3v3st4t10n

Homework Statement

x+2y=3
x^2-4y^2=-33

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x-2y=root-33?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, that's not a solution, you haven't found a value for x and y! Second, sqrt(a- B) is NOT sqrt(A)- sqrt(B).

Probably it is simplest to solve the first equation for x, replace the "x" in the second equation by that expression.

Try this:
x+2y=3
=> x=3-2y

<< detailed solution hints deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL dude, use a^2 - b^2 = (a+b)(a-b)
and u have the a+b eqn. with you..
Get the a-b eqn from the above equation, and solve a+b and a-b for a and b.

Oh, that's cute.

Spidey I wasn't able to follow your reasoning :confused:

It is always easiest (imo) to make x or y the subject in the linear equation: i.e. the first equation becomes [tex]x=3-2y[/tex] or [tex]y=\frac{3-x}{2}[/tex] and then substitute either of these values into the quadratic equation so that becomes: [tex](3-2y)^2-4y^2=-33[/tex] or if you made y the subject: [tex]x^2-4(\frac{3-x}{2})^2=-33[/tex]

Oh and remember you can't take the square root of a negative value.

x+2y=3
x^2-4y^2=-33
-33 = (x+2y)(x-2y)
got it now?

Ahh the 4y2 slipped my mind. Didn't think difference of 2 squares would've had a factor equal to the linear equation.

I know, I wouldn't have found it until I was halfway through the problem. It was a nice catch.

1. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that are solved together to find a common solution.

2. How do you solve a simultaneous equation?

To solve a simultaneous equation, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

3. Can you solve a simultaneous equation with more than two variables?

Yes, you can solve a simultaneous equation with any number of variables. However, the more variables there are, the more complex the equations become and the more difficult it is to find a solution.

4. Can you have more than two equations in a simultaneous equation?

Yes, you can have any number of equations in a simultaneous equation. The number of equations must match the number of variables in order for there to be a unique solution.

5. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations in science?

Solving simultaneous equations is important in science because it allows us to model and understand relationships between multiple variables. This is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering where multiple factors can affect a system.