Energy Problems (Help Greatly Needed)

• Thread starter Double A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, energy problems are a significant concern that requires urgent attention. The increasing demand for energy, coupled with the depletion of non-renewable resources and the negative environmental impact of fossil fuels, has created a pressing need for alternative and sustainable energy sources. Governments, businesses, and individuals alike must work together to find solutions to these problems and reduce our reliance on traditional energy sources. Renewable energy technologies, such as solar, wind, and hydro, offer promising solutions, but more support and investment are needed to fully harness their potential. It is crucial that we take action now to address energy problems and secure a cleaner, more sustainable future for generations to come.
Double A
I am having some difficulty answering a few problems on my physics homework.
I don't think that I am coming up with the right equations for given situations in the problems. The questions are as follows:

1. http://herograw.com/8-31.JPG

For this question I am getting [tex]- \frac{1}{2} m_1v^2 - \frac{1}{2} m_1v^2+m_2g\Delta h=-m_1\mu_kd[/tex] where m1 is the block in contact with the surface and m2 is the hanging sphere. When I solve the equation for v (velocity), I get v=4.77 m/s. However, I should be getting a result of 3.74 m/s.

2. http://herograw.com/8-48.JPG

For this equation I get [tex]mgy_{max}-mgh=-mg \mu_k d[/tex] but there needs to be something with the angle to derive that equation given in the problem.

3. http://herograw.com/8-60.JPG
http://herograw.com/figure8.60.JPG

When doing part (a) I was using the equation [tex]\frac{1}{2} m v^2+\frac{1}{2} k d^2=0[/tex]to find d. I got d=0.424 m but for part (b) I would just get v=3 m/s which is given in the question when the object is moving to the right. I'm not sure if this is right or if I'm approaching the question correctly.

4. http://herograw.com/8-72.JPG

For this question I was able to find part (b) but I'm not sure how to start in finding part (a).

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1)

You should have

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m_{1}v^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_{2}v^2 - m_{2}gh = -\mu m_{1}gh [/tex]

2)
You should have

[tex] mgy_{max} - mgh = -\mu mgcos\theta \frac{y_{max}}{sin\theta} [/tex]

3) Read the problem again you seem to forgot friction on this problem

Last edited:
I know that there is friction but when does it need to be accounted for?

If I were to use [tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2+\frac{1}{2} kd^2=-\mu_kmgd[/tex] I would have two variables to solve for because I do not know what the distance the block is sliding before it reaches the spring. Or are you saying that I need to use this equation for the other parts of the question if that is the right equation.

Related to Energy Problems (Help Greatly Needed)

1. What are the main causes of energy problems?

The main causes of energy problems include overconsumption, limited resources, and environmental impacts. Overconsumption refers to the excessive use of energy, leading to depletion of resources and increased emissions. Limited resources, such as fossil fuels, are non-renewable sources that are being used faster than they can be replenished. Environmental impacts, such as climate change, are caused by the release of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels.

2. How do energy problems affect the environment?

Energy problems have a significant impact on the environment, including air and water pollution, climate change, and habitat destruction. Burning fossil fuels for energy releases pollutants into the air, leading to smog, acid rain, and health issues. The extraction and transportation of fossil fuels also have negative impacts on ecosystems and wildlife. Additionally, the burning of fossil fuels is the main contributor to climate change, which has far-reaching consequences for the environment and human health.

3. What are renewable energy sources and how can they help with energy problems?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power, are sources of energy that can be replenished naturally and are considered cleaner alternatives to fossil fuels. These sources produce little to no emissions and have a lower impact on the environment. By transitioning to renewable energy sources, we can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the negative effects of energy problems.

4. How can individuals help solve energy problems?

Individuals can help solve energy problems by making small changes in their daily lives. Simple actions like turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and choosing energy-efficient appliances can make a significant impact on energy consumption. Additionally, individuals can advocate for renewable energy policies and support companies that prioritize sustainability and clean energy sources.

5. What are some long-term solutions to energy problems?

Long-term solutions to energy problems include transitioning to renewable energy sources, implementing energy efficiency measures, and investing in new technologies. Governments can also play a crucial role by setting policies and regulations that promote clean energy and discourage the use of fossil fuels. Additionally, promoting sustainable practices and raising awareness about energy conservation can help in the long run. Collaboration between governments, industries, and individuals is crucial in finding long-term solutions to energy problems.