Incident Solar radiation on an inclined surface

In summary, van Boxel teaches how to solve the equation for intensity on an incline given the known intensity of radiation on a flat surface. He provides a student report and a spreadsheet with the equations.
tommy060289

Homework Statement

Hey everyone, as part of a final year project I am looking at the economic feasibility of solar panels and whilst I have solar data for radiation intensity on flat surface, longitude (and plus or minus 15°) and 90° I am trying to find a calculation of intensity at any given angle.

Ive been looking in books and they do sort of give and answer but Iv'e been struggling to understand the books for this section and haven't been successful in gaining a real equation. Also, the equation seem to relate to when really little info is known. I already know the intensity of m^2 of flat ground. So what I'm trying to find is if it's possible to calculate the intensity on an incline given that 0° intensity is known.

Homework Equations

This is what I am trying to figure out, if there is a direct equation from known 0° to any desired angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been looking in books and on the internet but have struggled to understand there description. I am looking for some personal help to help me figure this out!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tommy! :smile:
tommy060289 said:
… I am trying to find a calculation of intensity at any given angle.

I already know the intensity of m^2 of flat ground. So what I'm trying to find is if it's possible to calculate the intensity on an incline given that 0° intensity is known.

If you think about it, the intensity falling on any surface is the same as the intensity (not) falling on the shadow of that surface.

So just find the relationship between the area of the surface and the area of its shadow on flat ground. :wink:

Hi Tommy,
I teach atmospheric physics and pretend to know something about the subject.
There is not one simple equation to do the conversion. But the problem is solvable, with a reasonable accuracy.
There are a lot of input parameters, but most can easily be obtained:
Date, Time (and time zone), Latitude and longitude, slope angle, orientation of the slope (=azimuth) and a few more that are less important and of course the global radiation (the radiation measured on a horizontal surface.
I could send you a student report on a similar problem, I could send you a report writeen by me, discussing the theory and I could put the equations in a spreadsheet, so you can play with them. To find me Google for "John van Boxel".

What is incident solar radiation on an inclined surface?

Incident solar radiation on an inclined surface refers to the amount of solar energy that falls on a surface that is not directly facing the sun. It takes into account the angle at which the surface is inclined and the intensity of the sun's rays.

How is incident solar radiation on an inclined surface calculated?

The incident solar radiation on an inclined surface is calculated using the angle of inclination, the latitude of the location, and the solar irradiance data for that location. This calculation takes into account the variation in solar intensity due to the angle of incidence.

Why is incident solar radiation on an inclined surface important?

Understanding incident solar radiation on an inclined surface is important for various applications such as solar panel placement and energy production, building design and orientation, and agricultural planning. It helps in optimizing the use of solar energy and improving overall efficiency.

How does the angle of inclination affect incident solar radiation?

The angle of inclination plays a significant role in determining the amount of incident solar radiation on a surface. A surface that is perpendicular to the sun's rays receives the maximum amount of solar energy, while a surface that is inclined at an angle receives less solar energy due to the increased angle of incidence.

What factors can affect incident solar radiation on an inclined surface?

Apart from the angle of inclination, other factors that can affect incident solar radiation on an inclined surface include the time of day, season, cloud cover, and atmospheric conditions. These factors can impact the intensity of the sun's rays and ultimately the amount of solar energy received by the surface.