Solving the Leaning Ladder Problem

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to find the coefficient of static friction, but gets it wrong. The floor applies a force against the ladder that is equal to the friction force.
laminatedevildoll
I am having problems with the following problem.

A person is standing on a leaning ladder rested on a wall, where m1 is the mass of the person and m2 is the mass of the ladder. He is up at the distance d on the ladder, L (the length). There is also an angle at the bottom.
The first part of the question asks to find the minimum coefficient friction, so that the ladder does not slip, which I found was 0.5*L*m_2*g+m_1*g*d)/(L*tan(theta)*(m_2*g+m_1*g))

Then, part B of the question is to find the magnitude of the force of friction that the floor applies to the ladder. The coefficient of the static friction force, mu_s is equal to (3/2)*mu_min which is given. In this case, I know that f doesn't equal mu_s*N. but it is less than mu_s*F_normal .

In the end, I got (3/2)*(d/L*m_1*g+0.5*m_2*g)*tan(theta) , which is completely wrong.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These kind of problems use summing of moments around a point and summing forces in various orthogonal directions.

Start by summing forces in the verticle (Y) direction and horizontal (X) direction. You should find verticle forces don't really matter here, so look at forces in the horizontal direction. In this case, the force against the wall, N, is equal to the frictional force. Note there are no other forces in the X direction, only these two, so the force against the wall is equal to the frictional force.

Now find the force against the wall, N, by summing moments around a point. If the point you select is the point where the ladder rests on the ground, you should find moments created by the verticle forces due to weight for the ladder and the person are countered by the normal force on the wall, N times the moment arm. This solves for N, and since N = frictional force, you also have the frictional force.

laminated,

Rather than just writing down what you got, if you tell us how you got that, it would be possible for us to show you where you made your mistake. Now we really don't know how you got what you got.

I started summing forces from the x, y direction

Fx = fs+n1=0
Fy=n2+(-m1g)+(-m2g)=0

Then also the torque
TB=n1Lsin(theta)-0.5(m2g)(Lcos(theta)-m1g(Dcos(theta))+n2(0)+fs(0)=0

fs=mu_min*n2, plugging in all the values and solving for mu_min...

This yielded to 0.5*L*m_2*g+m_1*g*d)/(L*tan(theta)*(m_2*g+m_1*g)) which is CORRECT.

But, how do I find the force of friction that the floor applies to the ladder? Ignoring the slipping...

Q_Goest said:
These kind of problems use summing of moments around a point and summing forces in various orthogonal directions.

Start by summing forces in the verticle (Y) direction and horizontal (X) direction. You should find verticle forces don't really matter here, so look at forces in the horizontal direction. In this case, the force against the wall, N, is equal to the frictional force. Note there are no other forces in the X direction, only these two, so the force against the wall is equal to the frictional force.

Now find the force against the wall, N, by summing moments around a point. If the point you select is the point where the ladder rests on the ground, you should find moments created by the verticle forces due to weight for the ladder and the person are countered by the normal force on the wall, N times the moment arm. This solves for N, and since N = frictional force, you also have the frictional force.

So this means f=mu_min*N right? N = (m2g+m1g)

Fx = fs+n1=0
Fy=n2+(-m1g)+(-m2g)=0

Kind of confused...

Should one assume that there is no friction from the wall ?

Assuming this, I get, for the first part :

[tex]\mu _{min} = \frac {m1(d/L) + (m2/2)}{(m1+m2)tan \theta } [/tex]

You have the same result for this. So far, so good.

For the second part, the only importance of the additional data is to tell you that the coefficient is large enough for stable equilibrium.

In this case, you simply redo the calculations that you did for (A), but instead of [itex] \mu _{min} N [/itex], you just call the frictional force F, and find F. Balancing horizontal forces will tell you that F = R, the reaction force from the wall. So, replacing R with F in the torque equation gives :

[tex]F = \frac {g[m1(d/L) + (m2/2)]}{tan \theta} [/tex]

Is this what the answer is supposed to be ?

Yes, that is the correct answer! I have been pondering about that second part for days. I thought that I had to integrate 3/2mu_min into the equation somehow. But, I am still a rookie at this stuff.

In any case, thank you for your help. I really appreciate your time.

1. What is the Leaning Ladder Problem?

The Leaning Ladder Problem is a classic physics problem in which a ladder leans against a wall and the goal is to calculate the angle at which the ladder will start to slip.

2. What are the main factors that affect the solution to the Leaning Ladder Problem?

The main factors that affect the solution to the Leaning Ladder Problem are the weight of the ladder, the angle at which it leans against the wall, the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground, and the distance between the base of the ladder and the wall.

3. How do you calculate the angle at which the ladder will start to slip?

The angle at which the ladder will start to slip can be calculated using the formula: tan(θ) = μ, where θ is the angle of the ladder and μ is the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground. By solving for θ, you can determine the angle at which the ladder will start to slip.

4. How can the Leaning Ladder Problem be applied in real life?

The Leaning Ladder Problem can be applied in real life situations such as construction work, where workers need to ensure that the ladder is stable and will not slip while they are working on it. It can also be useful for understanding the stability of other objects leaning against a surface, such as furniture or trees.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution of the Leaning Ladder Problem?

Yes, there are limitations to the solution of the Leaning Ladder Problem. The calculations assume an idealized scenario and do not take into account external factors such as wind or uneven ground. In addition, the coefficient of friction can vary and may not be accurately represented in the calculations. Therefore, the solution should be used as a guide and not as an exact measurement.