Square integrable functions - Hilbert space and light on Dirac Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses topics related to square integrable functions and Hilbert spaces in the context of quantum mechanics. The first question addresses the proof of convergence for square integrable functions, while the second question delves into the concept of operators and their notation in Dirac Notation. Text recommendations for further understanding of these topics are also provided.
esornep
Square integrable functions -- Hilbert space and light on Dirac Notation

I started off with Zettilis Quantum Mechanics ... after being half way through D.Griffiths ... Now Zettilis precisely defines what a Hibert space is and it includes the Cauchy sequence and convergence of the same ... is there any proof for the same for square integrable functions as he skips the same in the book ...
The second question he says Ʃ|θn><θn| = I where I stands for the operator ... now is this not going to infinity and please suggest some text on operators from scratch ... Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

The Dirac Notation says
|si> is ket and its conjugate is the the bra ? Is this consistent ... please explain

To your first question: The space of square integrable functions, describing a scalar non-relativistic particle, is defined as the vector space of functions [itex]\psi:\mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex] with a sesquilinear form
[tex]\langle{\psi_1}|{\psi_2} \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; \psi_1^*(\vec{x}) \psi_2(\vec{x}).[/tex]
This scalar product induces a metric on this space
[tex]\|\psi \|=\sqrt{\langle \psi|\psi \rangle}.[/tex]
To make this a pre-Hilbert space, you have to identify functions, for which
[tex]\|\psi_1-\psi_2\|=0.[/tex]
I.e., you don't distinguish between such two functions. One can show that this pre Hilbert space is in fact a true Hilbert space, i.e., it is complete in the sense of the topology induced by the norm.

To your second question: Since you have a non-degenerate scalar product you can identify any continuous linear form with a vector and vice versa. If you have a Hilbert-space vector [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] the corresponding linear form is written as [itex]\langle \psi|[/itex] and this already suggests how it acts on another Hilbert-space vector: [itex]|\phi \rangle \mapsto \langle \psi|\phi \rangle[/itex].

In quantum mechanics you need a bit more than that, namely also distributions since you have to deal with unbounded (mostly self-adjoint) operators (like the position and momentum operators) that have a restricted domain, but that should be explained in your book.

esornep said:
The Dirac Notation says
|si> is ket and its conjugate is the the bra ? Is this consistent ... please explain
See this post.

If you're wondering what linear functionals have to do with conjugates, you will need to study the relationship between linear operators and matrices. It's explained in post #3 in this thread. (Ignore the quote and the stuff below it).

esornep said:
...please suggest some text on operators from scratch
"Linear algebra done right", Sheldon Axler. (This one only deals with finite-dimensional vector spaces).
"Introductory functional analysis with applications", Erwin Kreyszig.

Most people only study finite-dimensional vector spaces and hope that there's some way of making sense of what they're doing in the context of infinite-dimensional vector spaces.

Last edited:

esornep said:
I started off with Zettilis Quantum Mechanics ... after being half way through D.Griffiths ... Now Zettilis precisely defines what a Hibert space is and it includes the Cauchy sequence and convergence of the same ... is there any proof for the same for square integrable functions as he skips the same in the book ...

This is actually a very tricky question. The answer relies crucially on what we mean with square integrable. Sure, you can say that it are functions such that

[tex]\int |\psi|^2[/tex]

is finite. But what is that integral?? If you interpret that integral as just a Riemann integral, then the space of square integrable functions will not be complete! In order for it to be complete, we need the more advanced notion of Lebesgue integrals. With that integral, it can be shown (but it is a bit tricky to do so) that the square integrable functions are complete.

The second question he says Ʃ|θn><θn| = I where I stands for the operator ... now is this not going to infinity

The sum is not infinity by Bessel's inequality.
Fredrik suggested the wonderful texts by Axler and Kreyszig. I second these texts.
If you want to know more about the Lebesgue integral, then the text "Lebesgue integral on euclidean space" by Jones is excellent and not very hard.

What is a square integrable function?

A square integrable function is a type of function in mathematics that satisfies a certain integral property. Specifically, it means that the integral of the absolute value of the function squared is finite.

What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis, a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces with certain properties. It is a complete vector space equipped with an inner product, which allows for the concept of distance and angle between vectors.

How are square integrable functions related to Hilbert spaces?

Square integrable functions are often studied in the context of Hilbert spaces because they have many useful properties in this setting. In fact, square integrable functions form a Hilbert space themselves, called the L² space.

What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation system invented by physicist Paul Dirac. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators in a concise and convenient way.

How is Dirac notation used in the context of square integrable functions?

In the context of square integrable functions, Dirac notation is often used to simplify the notation of inner products and other operations. This notation allows for a more elegant and intuitive representation of mathematical concepts, making it particularly useful in the study of Hilbert spaces and square integrable functions.