See far away objects in space in real time?

• Thread starter robertito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of seeing far away objects in space in real time and how it is not possible due to the limitations of the speed of light. The idea of time and how it is measured in different frames of reference is also brought up. The speaker also mentions a potential question about time in a different forum.
robertito
Hi,

I was asking myself if there is, or might be a way to see far away objects in space in real time? What I mean is that when we look even through the most powerful telescope we always see the past of the object we are looking at, and this past will depend on the distance the object is away from us, right?
So, if a planet is 1000 light years away from us and we have a telescope powerful enough to see its surface like, let's say, in google maps we will see how this surface looked like 1000 years ago. Then, maybe we see life on a planet, a supernova exploded 500 years ago and killed everything and we will see this in 500 years only.
Or maybe we don't see anything but there is life and the problem is that light still didn't reach us.
Is it like this or am I completely wrong?
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, the only way to see what happened 500 years ago would be for the light that was emitted 500 years ago to travel at twice the speed of light which - more or less by definition - is not possible :)

For a rigorous discussion, we should probably think about what "500 years ago" means... 500 years on whose clock? :)

Thanks for your answer, you clarified something important!
About the clock, I don't know, because that's also something I never understood :) I guess, my clock here on earth? But it's a mechanical device, and this is what confuses me even more! (in the same way that the ruler you leave in the drawer is not measuring anything...)
By the way, you made me remember that I have to make a question about time, but in another place of the forum ;)

Yes, because you are saying that "the light is coming from a start 500 light years away", the distance is measured in your frame of reference, the time is measured in your frame of reference. In other words, by a clock sitting stationary next to you.

If there is any way to see light of later times (=not light emitted 1000 years ago for clocks on earth) here on earth, this allows time travel or completely ruins special relativity (or both).
I guess, my clock here on earth? But it's a mechanical device, and this is what confuses me even more! (in the same way that the ruler you leave in the drawer is not measuring anything...)
Well, you can use any clock here on earth, including radioactive decays, the orbit of Earth around the sun and so on. You are not limited to a specific clock.

FAQ: See far away objects in space in real time?

1. How is it possible to see far away objects in space in real time?

This is possible through the use of advanced technology such as powerful telescopes and satellites. These instruments are equipped with high-resolution cameras and sensors that can capture images and data from distant objects in space.

2. How long does it take for the images and data to reach Earth?

The time it takes for images and data to reach Earth depends on the distance of the object being observed. For example, it takes approximately 8 minutes for light from the Sun to reach Earth, while it can take years or even centuries for light from other stars and galaxies to reach us.

3. Can we see objects in space in real time from anywhere on Earth?

No, the ability to see objects in space in real time depends on various factors such as the location of the object in relation to Earth, atmospheric conditions, and the availability of powerful telescopes or satellites in that area.

4. How does the quality of the images and data from far away objects compare to those taken closer to Earth?

The quality of images and data from far away objects can vary depending on the distance and the technology used. Generally, the closer the object is to Earth, the higher the quality of the images and data that can be obtained.

5. What are some challenges scientists face when trying to see far away objects in space in real time?

Some challenges include the vast distances and extreme conditions in space, which can affect the accuracy and quality of the images and data obtained. Additionally, the limited availability and capabilities of technology can also be a hindrance in real-time observations of far away objects in space.