Please, ive been stuck on this inverse laplace for awhile

In summary, the person is trying to find the laplace inverse of a function and is having trouble with calculating coefficients.
mathrocks
I have to find the laplace inverse of a function y(s) which has repeated complex roots.
Y(s)=s^2 / (s^2+4)^2
so s=2i, s=2i, s=-2i, s=-2i.

My partial fraction is as follows:
A/(s-2i) + B/(s-2i)^2 + C/(s+2j) + D/(s+2j)^2

I use the standard method for finding regular repeated roots but I get stuck trying to calculating C and D. My values are undefined. My work is below...

A= d/ds[(s-2i)^2*Y(s)]=8s(3s^2-4)/(s^2+4)^3 + 4s^2(s^2-12)*i/(s^2+4)^3-->then you set s=2i which then results in A=-6i.

And B=1

But now for C, when I use the same process as A but instead of 2i, I use -2i, my answer is a number over 0 which results in undefined.

Am I even doing this problem correctly? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do your partial fraction decomposition correctly. Because the polynomials are quadratic you need terms like (As + B) in the numerators.

BTW - if you are familiar with the Cauchy integral formula you could save yourself a lot of work and just evaluate the residues directly to evaluate the integral.

I gave it a go.

The values I have are:
A=undefined
B=1
C=undefined
D=1/4

Checked with maple 10
A=0
B=1
C=0
D=-4

However this was not done in complex numbers (for maple)

For my results I followed the method of residues. When evaulating for the Unknowns A and C (where you use d/ds) both resulted in undefined which I chose to interpret as just leave it alone:approve:

Obviously, you could evaluate this another way which would be advantageous right now but on a test where class lasts fifty minutes you need to know which method works most accurately. Since I am a novice at this I cannot be of much more help.

Actually I just realized my Y(s)=s^2 / [(s^2+4)^2*(s^2+2)^2]
so s=2i, s=-2i, s=sqrt(2)i, s=-sqrt(2)i
Thus, resulting in no repeating roots.

But I still have problems coming up with the coefficients.

I think you setup the partial fraction like this:

As+2B/(s^2+4)^2 + Cs+sqrt(2)D/(s^2+2)^2

But I don't know where to go from there...

Here is what I got

Ok, given:

Y(s) = s^2
[ (s-j2)^2*(s+j2)^2*(s-jsqrt(2))^2*(s+jsqrt(2))^2]

which equates to:

=K1/(s-j2)^2 + K2/(s-j2) + {plus the conjugates of K1 and K2}

Q1/(s-jsqrt(2))^2 + Q2/(s-jsqrt2) + {plus the conjugates of Q1 and Q2}

Solving for K1, K2, Q1 ,Q2 using the method of residues.

K1=6.1
K2=0
Q1=1/16
Q2=0

I do not know if this is correct but this is what I got. I really can't stand complex partial fraction decomposition.

Disar said:
Ok, given:
Y(s) = s^2
[ (s-j2)^2*(s+j2)^2*(s-jsqrt(2))^2*(s+jsqrt(2))^2]
which equates to:
=K1/(s-j2)^2 + K2/(s-j2) + {plus the conjugates of K1 and K2}
Q1/(s-jsqrt(2))^2 + Q2/(s-jsqrt2) + {plus the conjugates of Q1 and Q2}
Solving for K1, K2, Q1 ,Q2 using the method of residues.
K1=6.1
K2=0
Q1=1/16
Q2=0
I do not know if this is correct but this is what I got. I really can't stand complex partial fraction decomposition.

See, I haven't learned the method of residues...This problem is for my signals and systems class and I'm only allowed to use inverse laplace methods.

If you you've taken circuit analysis 2 then you should have seen the method of residues. Maybe you should refer to it. If not google it. If you are interested I can explain it to you quickly.

1. How do I solve an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is solved by first finding the Laplace transform of the given function. Then, use a table of Laplace transforms to find the original function.

2. What is the purpose of an inverse Laplace transform?

The purpose of an inverse Laplace transform is to find the original function from its Laplace transform. This is useful in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in engineering and physics.

3. Are there any special techniques for solving inverse Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are special techniques such as partial fraction decomposition, convolution, and the use of complex variable theory. These methods are used to simplify the inverse Laplace transform and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve inverse Laplace transforms?

Yes, there are calculators and software programs that can solve inverse Laplace transforms. However, it is important to understand the basic principles and techniques involved in solving them by hand.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving inverse Laplace transforms?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to check for convergence, not using the correct formulas from the Laplace transform table, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double check your work and practice solving problems to avoid these mistakes.