Frictional Force/Kinematics Problem

• Thread starter pingpong240
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the distance a 47,000 kg locomotive will roll before it comes to a stop when its engine and brakes fail. The solution involves using the equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad, where v_f is the final velocity, v_i is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance. Since the engine and brakes have failed, the locomotive will only be affected by friction, which can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. By using the coefficient of rolling friction for steel on steel, which is 0.002, and the mass of the locom
pingpong240

Homework Statement

A 47,000 kg locomotive is traveling at 13 m/s when its engine and brakes both fail. How far will the locomotive roll before it comes to a stop?

Homework Equations

v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried making a force diagram and working from there, but I'm not even sure if that's right. If I had to guess, I would solve for acceleration and use the equation above to get the desired distance, but I don't know how to do that! Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not told the coefficient of friction between the train and the tracks?

nope, not given that

pleeeeeeeeeeasssssssssssssse help

there has got to be some kind of resistant force some where, where is the friction? There's got to be friction! Any kind of drag! Please provide all the necessary info or we cannot help. State the question exactly how it was originally stated and show us any equations you think we should know about that has to do with the problem and show us that you tried to figure it out by posting some work. gravitational force is pushing your mass down on earth! provide a mew or something!

Last edited:
ok i know there is some friction obviously because it brings it to a stop. but that is exactly how the problem is stated above. another equation to help would be f_k=u * N, where u is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. i know that N is just mg, but i still don't know the coefficient. i have a table of common coefficients of friction, but i don't know that we are supposed to use them. for example, i have steel on steel (dry) coefficient of kinetic friction of .60 and steel on steel (lubricated) one of .05. i tried both of these and they did not work.

still no luck, any help is much appreciated...

Do you have a time atleast?

nope no time, all information given is presented in the first post, and the f_k = umg equation i guess, but i don't know if you need that

Yup. the other posters are right.

You have to have either:
the coefficient of friction
----this will allow you to figure out the time and distance

or

the time it decellerated to a stop.

As given, you do not have sufficient information to solve the problem.

Random information about trains:

Most "Deisel" engines aren't really powered by diesel engines.

They are electric engines that use massive deisel generators for power.

Not exactly pertinent, but interesting anyways.

WOW i just got it...the key to the problem was approaching the friction as a rolling friction, which i should've got from the problem saying that the locomotive rolls. i looked up the coefficient of rolling friction between dry steel on steel, sure enough it was .002. This led to the right answer of 4311 m. thanks for trying to help, though, i really appreciate it.

great observation!

Last edited:
Working it out the rest of the way for those who still don't fully understand:

Initial Velocity, (Vi),=13 m/s
Coefficient of Rolling Friction for Steel on Steel, (U),=0.002
Distance Traveled, (d),= unknown
Final Velocity, (Vf),=0

Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad

0=169+2ad

Now, F=ma=Umg where again (U) is the coefficient of rolling friction, (a) is the acceleration, (g) is gravity, (m) is mass, and (F) is force.

So, a=Ug

a=(0.002)(-9.81)

a=(-0.0196) m/s^2

Returning to the previous formula,

0=169+2ad

0=169+2(-0.0196)d

Solving for (d) gives

d=4311.22 m

which rounds to

d=4311 m

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the objects.

2. How is frictional force related to kinematics?

Frictional force is an important factor in kinematics, as it affects the acceleration and speed of an object. It can either increase or decrease the net force on an object, and thus affect its motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between the objects, and the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the resistance between the surfaces.

4. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, smoothing out the surfaces, or reducing the weight or normal force on the object.

5. How is the direction of frictional force determined?

The direction of frictional force is always opposite to the direction of motion or potential motion between the objects in contact. It acts in the direction that opposes the motion of the object.