Point on wheel with constant velocity

In summary: Not constant angular velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constant speed and angular velocity of a bicycle and a point on its wheel. It is possible for the bicycle to have a constant speed with regard to the plane, however, the velocity of the point on its wheel will not be constant. The mathematical function for this movement involves a curtate cycloid shape and the angular velocity can be calculated using the radius of the wheel and the distance to the point on the wheel. It is not possible for the bicycle to have both a constant speed and a constant absolute value of the velocity of the point on its wheel.
birulami
Let a bicycle run straight on a plane past you from left to right with constant speed. As a representative point of the bicycle take the center of the back axle. Since the bicycle has constant speed with regard to the plane, so has the axle (trivial). In addition a point on the rim of the wheel, say R, has constant angular velocity. Even more, with regard to the axle center, the absolute value of the velocity of R, i.e. [itex]|v_R|[/itex] is constant.

But, with regard to the plane, the velocity of R is not constant. As an example let's look at the horizontal speed of R between the angles 12 o'clock (top) and 3 o'clock (right). R moves [itex]2\pi r/4+r[/itex] if the radius of the wheel is r. Why? At the start, R is on top of the axle, at the end, the axle moved a quarter circumference and R is a distance of r in front of it. With a similar argument we find that between angles from 3 to 6 o'clock, R only moves [itex]2\pi r/4-r[/itex]. Since the time for both moves is the same, the horizontal speed with regard to the plane is obviously different. In both cases the vertical distance traveled by R is r. Consequently the absolute value of the velocity vector of R with regard to the plane is not constant.

Now the questions:
  1. Is it possible to let the bicycle move such that the absolute value of the velocity of R with regard to the plane is constant? How does the mathematical function look like and how does the bicycle move then?
  2. Can we have constant speed of the bicycle as well as a constant absolute value of the velocity of R at the same time, if necessary drop the requirement of circular motion of R?

Every hint appreciated,
Harald.​

(No, not a homework assignment :frown:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, all you have to do is lock the wheels and make the bicycle slide along the ground...

I think that the answer is no.
Lets look at the horizontal component of the speed. You can pretend that the point is connected to a spring and it is ossilating back and forth horizontaly to the ground, the other end of the spring is connected to the axle.
Now if what you say is possible then simply adding a constant velocity to the ossilating point would make the speed of the point always be 0. But that means that the speed of the point is constant which is false.

I wish I could find the picture online, it was on in my physics textbook. It was a shot of a bicycle wheel in motion. The top is very blurred and the bottom is very crisp. This is because a point at the top of the wheel is spinning much faster than one at the bottom (relative to the ground).

Is it possible to let the bicycle move such that the absolute value of the velocity of R with regard to the plane is constant?
Yes, as long as the point is inside the radius of the wheel. See below.
How does the mathematical function look like and how does the bicycle move then?
It speeds up and slow down relative to 1 / (R + r cos(angle)), where 0 angle means vertical, and increasing clockwise.
Can we have constant speed of the bicycle as well as a constant absolute value of the velocity of R at the same time
No, unless the point is on the axle (distance from axle to point is zero).

The shape of the path of the point relative to the ground is a curtate cycloid. If the bicycle was upside down and rolling on the roof, and the point was on the perimeter, the path would be a brachistrone. (Do a web search for graphs and more info).

Someone here check my math, just to be sure.

[tex]\mbox{let}\ R = \mbox{radius of wheel}[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{let}\ r = \mbox{radius to point on wheel}[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{let}\ \theta = \mbox{angle to point, with 0 meaning vertical and increasing clockwise, like a hand on a clock.}[/tex]

[tex]x = R\ \theta\ +\ r\ sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]y = R\ +\ r\ cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{let}\ \omega = \mbox{angular velocity}= (d \theta \ /\ dt) = \dot \theta [/tex]

Velocity of point

[tex]\dot x = R\ \omega \ +\ r\ \omega \ cos(\omega\ t\ ) = \omega \ (\ R\ +\ r\ cos(\omega \ t)\ ) = \omega \ (\ R\ +\ r\ cos(\theta)\ )[/tex]

[tex]\dot y = -r\ sin(\omega \ t) = -r\ sin(\theta)[/tex]

Let V = constant velocity of point.

[tex]\omega = V\ /\ (\ R\ +\ r\ cos(\omega \ t)\ ) = V\ /\ (\ R\ +\ r\ cos(\theta)\ )[/tex]

Last edited:
Math aside (since I don't know any) the thing that bothers me about the original question is probably just a matter of semantics. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'constant angular velocity'. Velocity is a vector involving both speed and direction. On a wheel, that direction is constantly changing, which means that the point in question on the wheel is undergoing constant acceleration.
Mind you, I've had an awful lot of beer tonight, so I might have missed something. :redface:

Oh, stupid me, I was only thinking of constant velocity.

1. What is a point on a wheel with constant velocity?

A point on a wheel with constant velocity is a specific location on a wheel that is moving at a steady speed and in a straight line. This point will always move in the same direction and at the same speed as the rest of the wheel.

2. How is the velocity of a point on a wheel with constant velocity calculated?

The velocity of a point on a wheel with constant velocity can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the wheel by the time it takes for one complete rotation. This will give the linear velocity of the point.

3. What factors affect the constant velocity of a point on a wheel?

The constant velocity of a point on a wheel can be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance, as well as the shape and size of the wheel itself. The speed at which the wheel is rotating can also impact the velocity at a specific point on the wheel.

4. How does the motion of a point on a wheel with constant velocity differ from a point on a wheel with changing velocity?

A point on a wheel with constant velocity will move at a consistent speed and direction, while a point on a wheel with changing velocity will experience changes in speed or direction. This can be due to external forces or changes in the rotation of the wheel.

5. What real-world applications use the concept of a point on a wheel with constant velocity?

The concept of a point on a wheel with constant velocity is used in various real-world applications, such as the movement of tires on a car, the rotation of gears in machinery, and the motion of a bicycle wheel. It is also important in understanding the principles of circular motion and rotational dynamics in physics.