Integration with k as constant

In summary, the person is asking how to integrate a function where k is a constant, but does not provide a step-by-step guide on how to do so. They say that if they take the square root of 1-\frac{k^{2}}{h^{2}} then it will be the answer, but this does not seem to follow. The first step is correct, but the next two steps are incorrect. The person should use a trig substitution and then decompose and partial fraction the function.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

PLease HELP ME INTEGRATE THIS>
[tex]\int\frac{dh}{\sqrt{h^{2}-k^{2}}}[/tex]
k is constant

Physics news on Phys.org

You will have to show some attempt first.

If I take h^2 common from the integral, it will be:
[tex]\int\frac{dh}{h\sqrt{1-\frac{k^{2}}{h^{2}}}}[/tex]
which finally gives:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{1-\frac{k^{2}}{h^{2}}}}{k^{2}}[/tex]

I don't see how that follows. Your first step is right, next you should use a trigo substitution.

I am redefining the question:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^{2}-a^{2}}}[/tex]

taking x^2 common

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{1-\frac{a^{2}}{x^{2}}}}[/tex]

let [tex]1-\frac{a^{2}}{x^{2}}=t[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dt}{(1-t)(\sqrt{t})}[/tex]
let[tex]\sqrt{t}=j[/tex]
[tex]\int\frac{dj}{1-j^{2}}[/tex]

how shall i proceed

As mentioned before trig substitution is the way to go from the very start.

ritwik06 said:

taking x^2 common

let[tex]\sqrt{t}=j[/tex]

how shall i proceed

I also agree with others, but assuming that you have the last step right:

You should do decomposition and partial fraction ...

You've made it a lot more tedious than it could have been with a simple trigo substitution.

please be more explicit. Actually there is no sign of trigo ratio in the answer :S

ritwik06 said:

taking x^2 common

let[tex]\sqrt{t}=j[/tex]

how shall i proceed
Pretty much every step is wrong. You seem to be consistly forgetting to replace the "dx" or "dt" term.
For example, if you let [tex]1-\frac{a^2}{x^2}=t[/tex] then [tex]\frac{2a^2}{x^3}dx= dt[/tex]. How are you going to substitute for that?

Even if that were correct when you say "let [tex]\sqrt{t}= j[/tex]", you should have [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}dt= dj[/tex].

As everyone has been telling you from the start, use a trig substitution. [tex]sin^2 \theta+ cos^2 \theta= 1[/tex] so [tex]tan^2 \theta+ 1= sec^2 \theta[/tex].

FAQ: Integration with k as constant

What is integration with k as constant?

Integration with k as constant is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative or integral of a function where k is treated as a constant. This means that k does not change and can be treated as a fixed value throughout the integration process.

Why is k treated as a constant in integration?

K is treated as a constant in integration because it simplifies the integration process. It allows us to treat k as a single value rather than a changing variable, making it easier to solve the integral and obtain a more precise result.

How is integration with k as constant different from other integration methods?

Integration with k as constant is different from other integration methods because it involves treating k as a constant rather than a variable. Other integration methods may involve treating other constants or variables as changing values, which can make the integration process more complex.

What are the benefits of using k as a constant in integration?

Using k as a constant in integration can help simplify the process and make it easier to solve. It also allows for more accurate and precise results, as treating k as a constant eliminates any errors that may arise from treating it as a variable.

Can k be treated as a variable in integration?

Yes, k can be treated as a variable in integration. However, this may make the integration process more complex and may result in less accurate solutions. It is often beneficial to treat k as a constant in integration to simplify the process and obtain more precise results.