Problem solving a parametric indefinite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting an integrating function in terms of coefficients A and B and determining the correct form of the integral. The correct form is determined to be ln|y/(h-y)|/k + C1 in its equivalent form of -ln|h/y-1|/k + C1.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
$$\int \frac{h}{ky(h-y)} \ dy$$
Where ##h##, ##k## are real numbers
Relevant Equations
none
Since ##h## and ##k## are constants:
$$\frac{h}{k}\cdot \int \frac{1}{y(h-y)} \ dy$$
Now, rewriting the integrating function in terms of coefficients ##A## and ##B##:
$$\frac{1}{y(h-y)}=\frac{A}{y}+\frac{B}{h-y}\rightarrow B=A=\frac{1}{h} \rightarrow$$
$$\frac{1}{h}\int \frac{1}{y}\ dy + \frac{1}{h}\int \frac{1}{h-y}\ dy\rightarrow \frac{ln|y|}{h}-\frac{ln|h-y|}{h}+C$$
Which, multiplied by ##\frac{h}{k}##, becomes:
$$\frac{ln|\frac{y}{h-y}|}{k}+C_1$$
That doesn't correspond to the right integral.

Where did I get it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
But doesn't correspond to the right integral.
Says who ?

##\ ##

Likes greg_rack
BvU said:
Says who ?

##\ ##
Nevermind, my bad... my reference did just wrote ##ln|\frac{y}{h-y}|## in the, of course, equivalent form ##-ln|\frac{h}{y}-1|##, and I haven't been able to see it at first sight :)

Likes BvU

1. What is a parametric indefinite integral?

A parametric indefinite integral is an integral that involves variables or parameters in its limits of integration. This means that the limits of integration are not fixed numbers, but rather expressions involving variables.

2. How is problem solving a parametric indefinite integral different from a regular indefinite integral?

The main difference is that in a parametric indefinite integral, the limits of integration are not fixed numbers, so you must use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to solve it. In a regular indefinite integral, the limits of integration are fixed numbers, so you can simply use the power rule or other basic integration techniques.

3. What are some common strategies for solving a parametric indefinite integral?

Some common strategies include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also helpful to simplify the expression before attempting to integrate, and to carefully consider the limits of integration.

4. Can a parametric indefinite integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, a parametric indefinite integral can have multiple solutions, just like a regular indefinite integral. This is because the indefinite integral represents a family of functions, and there can be multiple functions that have the same derivative.

5. How can I check if my solution to a parametric indefinite integral is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integrated function. If the derivative matches the original integrand, then your solution is correct. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to graph both the original integrand and the integrated function to visually confirm that they are the same.