Why cant it be just five quarks?

• Thread starter taylordnz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quarks
In summary, pentaquark structures have 4 quarks and an anti-quark, because of the quantum numbers they carry. It is not just a regular 3-quark structure plus a vacuum fluctuation of meson orbiting around, but rather a resonant structure involving 5 quarks. The model called the chiral soliton model of the pentaquark is the current favored (though contentious) theoretical prescription.
taylordnz
why do models show pentaquark structures have 4 quarks and an anti-quark, why can't it be just five quarks?

Physics news on Phys.org
it very simply because of the quantum numbers they carry ! For example, the first observed (to be confirmed!) pentaquark is the Theta+. This particle has positive strangeness, therefore one is forced to introduce an anti-strange quark (strange antiquark) (you know what I mean, right?) in the valence structure.

This in turn implies that this pentaquark is NOT just a regular 3-quark structure plus a vacuum fluctuation of meson orbiting around, but rather a resonant structure involving 5 quarks.

Look up the model called the chiral soliton model of the pentaquark. I think that's the current favored (though contentious) theoretical prescription.

5 quarks equals colour neutral - that's all there is to it.

Well !
It is certainly not that simple. I just began studying QCD about 1 year and a half ago. At this time, I was taught that hadrons are either qqq or q\bar{q}. In this respect, SU(3) is so natural, in terms of color confinement. On the contrary, a 5q state is not obviously a color singlet.

I find the qqqq\bar{q} very unnatural.

Note how the answers to your question refer either to numerical sequences or to concept that are not real but merely match an observation (ie color force). They are mathematically correct but fail to give a non-mathematical reason for being correct.
A simple 'words only' explanation is to consider all particles as natures attempt to balance force and anti-force fields. In a field obeying the inverse square law, the quantities of force and anti force cannot be equal. In order to maintain near equality in a multi-particle field it is occassionally necessary to add a particle with "more anti-force than force" to balance the shortage of anti-force in an assembly of "more force than anti-force" particles (and vice versa).
This is the role of neutrons in an atomic nucleus and the role of electrons in an atomic field. The limits of construction being determined by the elasticity of the field.

is there an antiforce in reality or is it just used to explain the concept?

At the particle level it is necessary to have attractive and repulsive electromagnetism. On the cosmic scale anti-gravity is sometimes used to explain universal expansion. On the strong force scale plus and minus quantities are needed to explain quark behaviour. That said no one knows what causes these forces to exist or what they are in reality, for that you need the nutcases on theory developement.

Does someone knows the current status !?
I believe the theta+ was a spurious peak. I am not being provocative. I think somebody around could be analyzing some recent data from a dedicated experiment.

1. Why can't it be just five quarks?

The current understanding of particle physics suggests that there are six types of quarks, known as up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. These particles have different properties such as mass, charge, and spin, and are essential building blocks of matter. Therefore, it is unlikely that there are only five quarks.

2. How do we know that there are more than five quarks?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations to study the behavior and properties of particles. Through these experiments, they have been able to identify and confirm the existence of six types of quarks. Additionally, the Standard Model of particle physics, which is a well-established theory, also predicts the existence of six quarks.

3. Can't we just combine two quarks to make a new one?

Quarks cannot exist on their own and are always found in combinations of two or three, known as hadrons. These combinations are bound together by the strong nuclear force and cannot be easily separated. Therefore, it is not possible to combine two quarks to create a new, stable quark.

4. Why is it important to understand the number of quarks?

The number and types of quarks are crucial in understanding the fundamental properties and interactions of matter. By studying quarks, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its building blocks. Additionally, the number of quarks can also give insights into the early stages of the universe and the conditions that existed during the Big Bang.

5. Are there any ongoing researches or theories about the possibility of fewer quarks?

There are ongoing researches and theories in the field of particle physics that explore the possibility of fewer quarks or even new types of quarks. However, these studies are still in their early stages, and more evidence and experiments are needed to confirm any new discoveries. The current understanding is that there are six quarks, but as technology and research progress, our understanding of these fundamental particles may also evolve.