Calculation of Isotop lifetimes

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the instability of Bismuth, specifically Bi209, which has a lifetime of 19*10^18 years. The question is raised about how this lifetime is calculated, whether it is through color chromodynamics or artificial models. The response mentions that there are no known quark-level calculations for real atomic nuclei and that calculating the lifetime of Bi209 is a highly complex problem. The speaker also mentions being open to being proven wrong and acknowledges that there may have been advancements in this area since the 80s or early 90s.
Dmitry67
I know that Bismuth is not stable, Bi209 has a lifetime of 19*10^18y.
I also know that before decay was experimentally confirmed, it had been theoretically predicted.

My question is - HOW?

Is color chromodynamics advanced enough so it can calculate for any number of neutrons and protons the lifetime of the nuclei? Bi-209 contains more then 6 hundreds quarks - is it really possible to calculate a system with that many 'particles' just based on the QM equations?

Or may be, as there are so many particles, artificial models (droplet, shells) are used? But this is really strange: energy margin between Bi-209 being stable and having lifetime of 10^19y is so tiny that these ad-hoc models must be fastastically accurate!

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wismut 209 is heavier than an He 4 and Tl 205,
hence it is unstable with respect to alpha decay.
see
http://dx.doi.org/10.1038%2Fnature01541

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
But could you comment on 2 approaches I menationed in my first post.
What is a precision of both methods right now?

I'm not aware of any quark-level calculations for ``real'' atomic nuclei. Handling something like Bi209 is a highly nontrivial many-body problem even when using empirical strong force potentials (say, based on the pion exchange formula and extensions of it).

That being said, I'm into quantum chemistry and only ever skimmed through some theoretical nuclear structure books. So I'd love to be proven wrong. I also seem to remember that one of the books I had checked out said that isotope lifetimes can currently not be calculated, but I think the book was from the 80s or early 90s, so that might have changed in the meantime.

1. How is the lifetime of an isotope calculated?

The lifetime of an isotope is calculated by measuring the rate of decay of the isotope and using the decay constant to determine the average time it takes for half of the original sample to decay. This is known as the half-life of the isotope.

2. What factors can affect the lifetime of an isotope?

The lifetime of an isotope can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements. These factors can alter the decay rate and therefore affect the calculated lifetime of the isotope.

3. Can the lifetime of an isotope be predicted?

The lifetime of an isotope cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy, as it is a statistical measurement based on the average decay rate. However, with more accurate measurements and advanced calculations, scientists can make more precise predictions.

4. How is the decay constant related to the lifetime of an isotope?

The decay constant is directly related to the lifetime of an isotope. It is a measure of how quickly the isotope decays, and the higher the decay constant, the shorter the lifetime of the isotope.

5. Why is the calculation of isotope lifetimes important in scientific research?

The calculation of isotope lifetimes is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of different elements. It can also provide valuable information about the age of rocks and fossils, and is crucial in fields such as radiocarbon dating and nuclear energy.