Linearizing dynamics - derivative of matrix wrt vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of linearizing a set of non-linear equations of motion for a project. The equations take the form of x_dot(x,u) = B(x)*u + A(x), where A and B are functions of the state vector x and x_dot is the time derivative of x. The speaker also mentions that they know dA/du = 0 and d(Bu)/du = B, but are unsure how to evaluate the first half, which involves the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector. However, they then realize that Bu is an n x m matrix multiplied by a m x 1 vector, making the product an n x 1 vector. They conclude that d(Bu)/
alexjbuck
Hi,

I'm working on a project (not homework) where I have to linearize a set of non-linear equations of motion

They take the form:

x_dot(x,u) = B(x)*u + A(x)

where A and B are functions of state vector x. x_dot is a time derivative of x.
A - n x 1
B - n x m
u - m x 1

(wish I could get the latex to work... Its probably not broken, but rather I am...)

I also know that: (linearizing about some arbitrary x and u)

delta(x_dot) = (d(Bu)/dx + dA/dx)*delta x + (d(Bu)/du + dA/du)*delta u

I know dA/du = 0 and also that d(Bu)/du = B, but then the question is, how do I evaluate the first half? If I'm not mistaken it involves the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector and I do not know how to go about this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that Bu is an n x m times a m x 1 thus the product is an n x 1 vector.

d(Bu)/dx is then just the derivative of a vector wrt a vector, which is the Jacobian if I'm not mistaken...

looks like I just answered my own question (I think)

1. What is linearizing dynamics?

Linearizing dynamics is the process of approximating a nonlinear system by a linear system. This allows for simpler analysis and control of the system.

2. What is the derivative of a matrix?

The derivative of a matrix is a matrix of the same dimensions that contains the derivatives of each element of the original matrix. It is commonly used in calculus to calculate the rate of change of a matrix with respect to another variable.

3. What is the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector?

The derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector is a third-order tensor (a multidimensional array) that contains the derivatives of each element of the matrix with respect to each element of the vector. This is used in linearizing dynamics to calculate the sensitivity of the system to changes in the vector.

4. How is the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector calculated?

The derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector is calculated using the chain rule of calculus. Each element of the resulting tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the corresponding element of the original matrix with respect to the corresponding element of the vector.

5. Why is it important to calculate the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector in linearizing dynamics?

In linearizing dynamics, the derivative of a matrix with respect to a vector is used to determine the sensitivity of the system to changes in the vector. This allows for the design of control strategies that can effectively stabilize the system and improve its performance.