Writing Scientific Terms in PF: A Quick Guide

• Thread starter ddnath
  • Start date
In summary, the guide is helpful if you want to learn how to write in mathematical terms using LaTeX.
ddnath
I don't know how to write scientific and mathematical terms in pf like matrix,vectors,differentiation,integration,curl,divergence etc.moreover i don't know the meanings of different types of wraps enlisted in the bar above the writing page.
what is the meaning of the?how to write through this pf.

CODE
PHP
SUP
SUB
SPOILER
YOUTUBE
STRIKE
please explain all of them...how to write through them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a guide for how to use LaTeX to write in mathematical terms
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

As for the rest of them...

Code:
This is CODE

PHP:
This is PHP

This is SUP, you can use it like this 105

This is SUB, you can use it like this 105

This is a Spoiler, use it when you want to give readers the option to decide if they want to know e.g. when talking about a films plot

This is youtube (you have to take the last part after the V= to get it to work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

[STRIKE]This is a strike through. You can use it to be sarcastic, amongst more legitimate uses.[/STRIKE]

Why don't you try out some of them for yourself and see what happens?

You can preview the result without submitting it.

To get you going the 'sub' icon in the advanced reply box top is very useful to produce such as 'Aa'

One more thing plus a bit of explanation: quote puts what people have written into a quote box. As an example if I take what Studiot has written:

"Why don't you try out some of them for yourself and see what happens?

To get you going the 'sub' icon in the advanced reply box top is very useful to produce such as 'Aa'"

I can put [noparse]this
infront and this
behind[/noparse] which will do this:

To get you going the 'sub' icon in the advanced reply box top is very useful to produce such as 'Aa'

Alternatively I can press the quote button on his post which will make a box with a name so you know who wrote it and a link to the original post (helpful in big threads and for seeing the rest of the post if it isn't all quoted)
Studiot said:

All of the functions work like this. To use them simply highlight the text you want to do something to (e.g. highlight the text you want to turn into a spoiler) and press the button. Alternatively press the button first and type/paste what you want to say inbetween. Or alternatively again manually type them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.still have some trouble.but have got a way to find out these.again thanks.

Ryan_m_b said:
Here's a guide for how to use LaTeX to write in mathematical terms
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

When I click that link, I get a page that says, "vBulletin Message
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

mikelepore said:
When I click that link, I get a page that says, "vBulletin Message
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
Someone deleted it.

1. What is the purpose of using scientific terms in writing?

The use of scientific terms is important in writing because it allows for clear and precise communication among scientists. These terms have specific meanings that are universally understood within the scientific community, making it easier to convey complex ideas and findings accurately.

2. How can I ensure the correct usage of scientific terms in my writing?

To ensure the correct usage of scientific terms, it is important to consult reputable sources such as scientific journals, textbooks, and dictionaries. These sources provide accurate definitions and usage examples for various scientific terms. Additionally, it is important to use terms consistently and to avoid using jargon or overly complex language that may confuse the reader.

3. Are there any guidelines for formatting scientific terms in writing?

Yes, there are guidelines for formatting scientific terms in writing. The most commonly used format is to italicize the terms, especially when they are used for the first time in a document. This helps to distinguish them from other words and indicates that they have a specific scientific meaning. Additionally, when using abbreviations for scientific terms, it is important to follow the appropriate formatting guidelines as specified by the appropriate style guide.

4. Should I use scientific terms in all types of scientific writing?

The use of scientific terms is dependent on the audience and purpose of the writing. In some cases, it may be necessary to use simpler language and avoid technical terms in order to make the information more accessible to a general audience. However, in scientific research papers and articles, the use of scientific terms is essential for accurately conveying information and maintaining credibility.

5. Can I create my own scientific terms?

While it is not recommended to create your own scientific terms, it is possible in certain circumstances. If a new discovery or concept is being introduced, it may be necessary to create a new term to accurately describe it. However, it is important to consult with other scientists and ensure that the new term is accepted and understood within the scientific community before using it in your writing.