MLE for Uniform(-A,A) - exam today

• Thread starter nolita_day
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Mle
In summary, the MLE for a random variable X~Unif(-θ,θ) is max|Xi|. The graph should show L > 0 when θ is larger than the larger of the two values -min(X1,X2,...Xn) and max(X1,X2,...Xn). This is because for L to be greater than 0, θ must be greater than 0 and also satisfy the conditions max(X1,X2,...Xn) ≤ θ and -θ ≤ min(X1,X2,...Xn).
nolita_day
So my prof. has not replied to my e-mail, so I was wondering if someone here can help me understand why the MLE for a random variable X~Unif(-θ,θ) is max|Xi|. Attached is the problem as well as my attempt for the solution.

Here is my thought process:

Upon sketching the graph, I thought the answer would be min( |min(Xi)|, |max(Xi)| ) because there are two different tails and the one closer to zero should have the highest value for L(θ). So if |min(Xi)| < |max(Xi)|, then L(θ = min(Xi)) > L(θ = max(Xi)), which would make min(Xi) the MLE for θ.

Whether or not this gets answered in time before my exam, I'd still be curious to know the reasoning for the correct answer :)

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, your last graph is slightly confused. You are attempting to show the interval [itex] [-\theta, \theta] [/itex] on the graph. You should only show L as a function of [itex] \theta [/itex].

For L to be greater than 0, the conditions on [itex] \theta [/itex] are:
[itex] \theta \gt 0 [/itex] (or else the interval [itex] [-\theta,\theta] [/itex] would have zero length)
[itex] max(X_1,X_2,...X_n) \le \theta [/itex]
[itex] -\theta \le min(X_1,X_2,...X_n) [/itex]

The last condition is equivalent to [itex] \theta \ge - min(X_1,X_2,...X_n) [/itex]

So the graph should show L > 0 when [itex] \theta [/itex] is larger than the largest of the two values [itex] -min(X_1,X_2,...X_n) [/itex] and [itex] max(X_1,X_2,...X_n) [/itex].

It doesn't look pretty, but you can denote that condition by
[itex] \theta \ge max( -min(X_1,X_2,...X_n), max(X_1,X_2,...X_n) ) [/itex]

1. What is MLE for Uniform(-A,A)?

MLE stands for Maximum Likelihood Estimation. In this context, it refers to a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a Uniform distribution with lower bound -A and upper bound A. This method involves finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood of the observed data.

2. How does MLE for Uniform(-A,A) work?

MLE for Uniform(-A,A) involves finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood function, which is a function that measures how likely it is for the observed data to occur given a specific set of parameters. This is typically done by taking the derivative of the likelihood function and setting it equal to 0, then solving for the parameters.

3. What is the purpose of using MLE for Uniform(-A,A)?

The purpose of using MLE for Uniform(-A,A) is to estimate the parameters of a Uniform distribution. This can be useful for making predictions or inferences about the underlying population based on a sample of data. MLE is a commonly used and well-established method for parameter estimation.

4. Are there any assumptions or limitations when using MLE for Uniform(-A,A)?

Like any statistical method, MLE for Uniform(-A,A) has certain assumptions and limitations. One assumption is that the data is randomly sampled from a Uniform distribution with lower bound -A and upper bound A. Additionally, MLE can be sensitive to outliers or extreme values in the data, so it may not be the best method to use in those cases.

5. Is there any software or code available for MLE for Uniform(-A,A)?

Yes, there are various software programs and programming languages that have built-in functions or libraries for performing MLE for Uniform(-A,A). Some common examples include R, Python, and Matlab. There are also online calculators and tools that can be used for MLE calculations.