Is reality at quantum level just probablilistic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty it brings about in our understanding of the world. The conversation also mentions Bell's Theorem and Gleason's Theorem, which suggest that quantum mechanics is inherently random and not determined by hidden variables. The speaker also suggests that this probabilistic nature is a fundamental feature of the universe and that quantum mechanics is the only possible theory that allows for continuous changes in possible states.
Moris526
Hi. First of all English is not my native language and i am a layperson, so I hope i can explain my self.

It is said that reality at the quantum level is probabilistic, not determined.

My question is : That is really the case or a probabilistic knowledge is the best we can get as humans?

And, if it is probabilistic, how do we know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best to leave the word 'reality' out of it I think. That word has a lot of baggage associated with it.

Within quantum theory 'observations' (I'll use this word instead of reality), observations are random. They are inherently random. The probability we will observe a particular value is the best we, and anyone or anything can know, its the best that can be known. We know this from many experiments, from the double slit experiment to tests of the Bell Inequalities. Understanding these experiments and what they entail can be confusing. But what they do entail is that observed quantities are random.

Hi. Modus.

The values observed are random but how do we know that there is not a deterministic proceses behind the apparent random value?. Like a random emulation in a computer program.

Thanks for the answer.

Moris526 said:
Hi. Modus.

The values observed are random but how do we know that there is not a deterministic processes behind the apparent random value?. Like a random emulation in a computer program.

When you have a chance, search the web for "Bell's Theorem" and "EPR Paradox".

The EPR paper (written by Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen in 1935) made a very strong argument that there should/must be such a deterministic process underlying QM; or as they phrased it, 1935-vintage QM is "incomplete".

In 1964 John Bell discovered his theorem, which basically says that any theory that Einstein and company would have accepted as complete must necessarily disagree with the predictions of quantum mechanics under some circumstances. Over the next few decades, various experiments have tested these predictions under those circumstances, and the QM predictions have been confirmed.

So, despite ongoing metaphysical debate about what quantum mechanics IS, there is general agreement that it IS NOT a deterministic process of the type that EPR had in mind and that (I think) you are thinking of.

Your analogy with a computer program emulating the randomness is good - take a moment to google for "DrChinese Challenge" and "Quantum Randi Challenge".

Moris526 said:
My question is : That is really the case or a probabilistic knowledge is the best we can get as humans?

As humans, yes.

If there is a deterministic set of laws for the universe, they are certainly outside the realm of science. If such laws do exist, even knowing them would not help us better predict experiments than we already can.

There seems to be a very deep feature of nature that at a fundamental level it is probabilistic. Check out Gleasons Theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason's_theorem
Gleason's theorem highlights a number of fundamental issues in quantum measurement theory. The fact that the logical structure of quantum events dictates the probability measure of the formalism is taken by some to demonstrate an inherent stochasticity in the very fabric of the world. To some researchers, such as Pitowski, the result is convincing enough to conclude that quantum mechanics represents a new theory of probability. Alternatively, such approaches as relational quantum mechanics make use of Gleason's theorem as an essential step in deriving the quantum formalism from information-theoretic postulates.
The theorem is often taken to rule out the possibility of hidden variables in quantum mechanics. This is because the theorem implies that there can be no bivalent probability measures, i.e. probability measures having only the values 1 and 0. Because the mapping is continuous on the unit sphere of the Hilbert space for any density operator W. Since this unit sphere is connected, no continuous function on it can take only the value of 0 and 1. [2] But, a hidden variables theory which is deterministic implies that the probability of a given outcome is always either 0 or 1: either the electron's spin is up, or it isn't (which accords with classical intuitions). Gleason's theorem therefore seems to hint that quantum theory represents a deep and fundamental departure from the classical way of looking at the world, and that this departure is logical, not interpretational, in nature.

Also check out:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0101012v4.pdf

It seems QM is pretty much the only theory possible if you require the possible states to continuously change to other states - which if you think about it is basically what you want of physical systems.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the quantum level and how does it differ from classical physics?

The quantum level refers to the microscopic world of atoms and subatomic particles, where the laws of quantum mechanics govern behavior. In contrast, classical physics describes the behavior of objects on a larger scale.

2. Is reality at the quantum level really just probabilistic?

According to the current understanding of quantum mechanics, yes, reality at the quantum level is probabilistic. This means that the behavior of particles cannot be predicted with certainty, but rather, only the probability of their behavior can be calculated.

3. What evidence supports the idea of probabilistic reality at the quantum level?

There are several key experiments that demonstrate the probabilistic nature of reality at the quantum level, including the double-slit experiment and the uncertainty principle. These experiments have been repeatedly confirmed by scientists and have led to the development of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the concept of probability relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with certainty. Instead, these properties can only be described by a probability distribution. This shows that at the quantum level, reality is not definite, but rather, based on probabilities.

5. Could there be a deeper underlying reality that explains the probabilistic nature of the quantum level?

While there are some theories that attempt to explain the probabilistic nature of the quantum level, such as hidden variable theories, they have not yet been proven. The current understanding is that probabilistic behavior is a fundamental aspect of the quantum world and may not have a deeper underlying explanation.