Wrong Path, need to step back and re-trace

• Thread starter Killerzone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the individual is currently studying computer engineering at Ryerson University and is interested in astronomy and quantum physics. They are considering pursuing a career in theoretical physics, but are concerned about the added time and cost of switching their studies. They are seeking recommendations on how to proceed, and are encouraged to read a forum post for more information. The speaker suggests that they finish their computer engineering degree, which will provide job opportunities, and then pursue a physics graduate program. They also recommend being proactive and speaking with physics professors for advice.
Killerzone
Hey folks,
I am currently studying at Ryerson (Toronto, Canada) in Computer Engineering (BEng) and I am starting my 3rd year in September. Since high school, I have been very interested in astronomy and quantam physics (at least what was taugh) and I always postulated my own theories on how daily objects work (most of them being close enough to reality) and even now as I sit in my office doing my summer job I search the web for ideas and theories to learn about astronomy and basically quantam physics and so on.
Now I have decided that I really want to continue my career in theoretical physics (PhD), and find a nice job at a university while doing research. But if I change my studies now, I will be set back at least 2-3 years and I (and parents who probably won't approve) may not be able to pay off extra 2-3 years. But I cannot leave my current program with just a BEng, because then I won't be able to find a job too easily to pay for my Physics PhD. I was thinking of doing Masters in Engineering and then getting a job, then pursuing my career in Physics.
If you have recommendations to what I can do as of now, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be very foolish not to get your computer engineering degree. I am sure you have acquired a great deal of programming skills and that will translate into getting a job. You may not even need a ME. Once you have a job you can prepare for the physics GRE and take it, then you can look for a grad program in physics. It is also a good idea to be proactive and talk to some physics professors in your prospective field to get their input.

Last edited:

Related to Wrong Path, need to step back and re-trace

What does it mean to "step back and re-trace"?

Stepping back and re-tracing refers to taking a break from your current path or approach and going back to the beginning to review and analyze your progress. It allows for self-reflection and a chance to make any necessary changes or corrections.

Why is it important to recognize when you are on the wrong path?

Recognizing when you are on the wrong path is crucial because it allows you to course correct and avoid wasting time and resources. It also presents an opportunity for growth and learning as you reassess your goals and strategies.

How can you tell if you are on the wrong path?

Signs that you may be on the wrong path include feeling stuck, unmotivated, or unfulfilled. You may also notice a lack of progress or success in your current approach. It's important to listen to your intuition and pay attention to any red flags that may be signaling a need for a change in direction.

What are some strategies for stepping back and re-tracing?

Some strategies for stepping back and re-tracing include taking a break from your current project or task, seeking feedback from others, and reflecting on your goals and values. It can also be helpful to brainstorm new ideas and approaches and create a plan for moving forward.

Is it okay to make mistakes and go down the wrong path?

Yes, it is completely normal and even necessary to make mistakes and go down the wrong path. It's through these experiences that we learn and grow. The key is to recognize when you need to make a change and be open to re-evaluating your approach.