Understanding how to set up integrals for inertia

In summary, when trying to find the elements of an inertia tensor for an object, such as a disk, you need to integrate over the volume of the object. The limits for the integral depend on the coordinate system and the size of the object. This process is outlined in detail in the provided resource.
jtandron
Hello, and thank you in advanced for this. I am having trouble with setting up most if not all of my integrals when I am trying to find the elements of an inertia tensor. What would I do if i need to find say the tensor for a disk, but i don't know what to take for my three limits to be. i get that for the xy-plane it should be the circular area, but then for the z-axis? my head can't wrap itself around it. Again, please if you could shed me some help i thank you very much for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
See: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~kovacs/Teaching/Mechanics/tensor_inertia.pdf

Basically you construct the inertia element, then you add up all the lements - this will normally involve integrating over the volume of the object in question. The exact limits depend on the coordinate system and the extent of the object ... just like any volume integral.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is a physical property of matter that describes an object's resistance to change in motion. It is also known as the "law of inertia" and is one of the fundamental principles of physics.

2. How do you calculate inertia?

Inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the purpose of setting up integrals for inertia?

The purpose of setting up integrals for inertia is to determine the distribution of mass in an object and how it affects its rotational motion. This information is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

4. What are the steps for setting up integrals for inertia?

The steps for setting up integrals for inertia are as follows:
1. Identify the axis of rotation
2. Determine the mass of each element along the axis
3. Calculate the moment of inertia for each element
4. Integrate the moment of inertia over the entire object
5. Simplify and solve the integral to get the final moment of inertia value.

5. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass and distribution of mass in an object, as well as the distance of each element from the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the object also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.