Determine Mass moment of inertia about any axis given Ixx...

In summary, the conversation is about transferring body properties from one coordinate system to another using a transformation matrix. The question is whether it is possible to calculate the mass moment or inertia about a known axis using the Ixx, Iyy and Izz values. The response is that the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor and can be calculated using the principal directions and their corresponding moments. However, it cannot be treated as a vector and must be transformed using a rotation matrix.
Mohsen Diraneyya
Hello,

I am analyzing human motion. for each body segment, I have measured values for Ixx, Iyy, and Izz in local coordinate system. I want to transfer all body properties from one coordinate system to another using a transformation matrix.

My question is that
, is there a way to calculate mass moment or inertia about any known axis, given the mass moment of inertia about the three primary axes? Ixx, Iyy ans Izz

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor. Given the principal directions and their corresponding moments uniquely defines this tensor.

Likes Mohsen Diraneyya
Orodruin said:
Yes, the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor. Given the principal directions and their corresponding moments uniquely defines this tensor.
Does that mean I can simply use rotational transformation matrix as any other vector to get new moments of inertia ?

Mohsen Diraneyya said:
Does that mean I can simply use rotational transformation matrix as any other vector to get new moments of inertia ?
No, it is a rank 2 tensor, not a vector. You marked this thread "A" so I assumed you were familiar with tensors. Written in matrix form, the components of a rank 2 tensor transform according to
$$
I' = A I A^T,
$$
where ##I## contains the components of the moment of inertia tensor in old system, ##I'## its components in the new system, and ##A## is the rotation matrix connecting the systems.

Likes Mohsen Diraneyya
My bad. Thanks A lot:ok:

1. What is mass moment of inertia?

Mass moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is mass moment of inertia different from moment of inertia?

Mass moment of inertia takes into account an object's mass, while moment of inertia only considers an object's shape and distribution of mass. Mass moment of inertia is also dependent on the axis of rotation, whereas moment of inertia is not.

3. How is mass moment of inertia calculated?

Mass moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be expressed mathematically as I = ∑(m_i * r_i^2), where m_i is the mass of the i-th particle and r_i is its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. Can mass moment of inertia be negative?

No, mass moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Negative values may appear in calculations, but they are not physically meaningful.

5. How does the axis of rotation affect mass moment of inertia?

The axis of rotation affects mass moment of inertia because the distance between the axis and each particle affects the value of the moment of inertia. The farther the particles are from the axis, the larger the moment of inertia will be.