Register to reply

Optimization of sphere and cyliners (Electrical physics)

Share this thread:
jlee167
Jul18-14, 02:28 AM
P: 1
I recently noticed that I have blindly used optimization in some problems that involve symmetrical insulating/conducting spheres and cylindrical shells.
For example, when calculating outer electric field caused by a spherical insulator/conductor, I just treated these as a simple point charge located at their center, and those ways rendered correct answers. Also, in a question involving an infinite cylindrical shell, (given charge density), I treated it as a simple line charge located at its center, and it also gave me a right answer. However, I am still not convinced how this works mathematically. Is it just a way of simplifying problem for faster calculation, or is there any theorem / definiton that fully explain the validity of this simplification?
I would appreciate some help
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Simon Bridge
Jul18-14, 08:47 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,110
Look up Gausses Law.

You've noticed that the "optimization" only works for simple geometries, and only outside the objects in question.

Register to reply