N-source versus N-slit interference

In summary, N-source interference and N-slit interference are both related to the interference of light waves, but they involve different scenarios and patterns. The number of sources or slits directly affects the complexity and intensity of the interference pattern, which can be mathematically represented by different equations. N-source and N-slit interference have various practical applications in optical instruments and can also be observed with other types of waves besides light.
jdstokes
Hi all,

I don't understand why the intensity pattern for an arbitrary number of slits will decay with distance from the centre of the screen, whereas the intensity pattern due to N-point sources will vary periodically with no average decay. I can derive the electric field and intensity for both cases to show it is true, but I can't justify it physically. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also have mentioned that I'm working in the Fraunhofer regime.

FAQ: N-source versus N-slit interference

1. What is the difference between N-source and N-slit interference?

N-source interference refers to the phenomenon observed when light waves from multiple point sources interfere with each other, resulting in a distinct pattern of light and dark bands. On the other hand, N-slit interference involves light waves passing through multiple slits or openings, resulting in a similar pattern of interference.

2. How does the number of sources or slits affect interference patterns?

The number of sources or slits directly affects the complexity and intensity of the interference pattern. As the number of sources or slits increase, the pattern becomes more complex with more distinct bands of light and dark regions.

3. What is the mathematical equation for N-source or N-slit interference?

The mathematical equation for N-source interference is given by: I = I0cos2(πd sinθ/λ), where I is the intensity of light at a certain point, I0 is the maximum intensity, d is the distance between sources, θ is the angle of observation, and λ is the wavelength of light. For N-slit interference, the equation is slightly different: I = I0sinc2(Nπd sinθ/λ), where N is the number of slits.

4. How is N-source or N-slit interference used in practical applications?

N-source and N-slit interference are commonly used in optical instruments such as spectrometers and interferometers. They are also utilized in diffraction gratings, which are used in various devices such as CD and DVD players to separate and analyze light of different wavelengths.

5. Can N-source or N-slit interference be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, N-source and N-slit interference can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. This phenomenon is known as wave interference and follows similar principles as light interference, where multiple waves overlap and interfere with each other resulting in distinct patterns.