Youtube videos blocking thread options

• Bug
  • Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date
In summary, users are reporting issues with drop down menus being blocked by embedded videos at the top of the page on the Physics Forums website. This appears to be a problem for some users on different browsers and resolutions, with workarounds such as changing the window size or using a lower resolution. The issue seems to be related to ads appearing and disappearing on the page.
arunbg
I don't know if this has been reported yet.
Embedded videos at the top of the page seem to be blocking drop down menus of thread options . I noticed it at this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130401&page=59". For example, the Share it option cannot be properly accessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not a problem with FF3.0.1 on Mac OSX.

Looks fine to me too. (Firefox 3.0.10, Vista)

Look fine for me too, but my thread tools drop down comes nowhere near to overlapping with the youtube embeds. What resolution is your screen set at arunbg?

Kurdt said:
Look fine for me too, but my thread tools drop down comes nowhere near to overlapping with the youtube embeds.
Mine neither, so I made my browser window smaller to force the overlap. Still, no conflicts.

Opera here - after I change window size so that Share It menu lands in the same place youtube flash player, Share It menu opens under video and can't be accessed. Same when trying IE.

Sorry for the late response, I was out of town.
I use an old CRT monitor set at 800X600. Funny thing is when I accessed the page without logging in, google ads appeared between the video and the menu preventing overlap. Once I log in and refresh the page, the ads disappear and I am stuck with the same problem.

anyone else viewing the forums on 800x600 exp this problem?

1. Why are certain Youtube videos blocking the thread options?

This may be due to the content of the video violating community guidelines or copyright laws. It could also be a decision made by the video creator to limit comments and discussion on their video.

2. Can I still comment on a video that has blocked thread options?

No, if the thread options are blocked, it means that commenting and discussion on the video is also disabled.

3. How can I tell if a video has thread options blocked?

You will see a message below the video that says "Comments are turned off" or "This video has been removed". You may also notice that the comment section is missing or that comments are disabled.

4. Is there a way to enable thread options on a video that has them blocked?

No, only the video creator or Youtube staff have the ability to enable or disable thread options on a video.

5. Will the thread options be permanently disabled on a video?

Not necessarily. Thread options may be temporarily disabled due to a violation or issue, but they can be re-enabled by the video creator or Youtube staff once the issue is resolved.