Question on why metal ions are remain stationary in the metal body

In summary, when a metal becomes polarized, only the electron moves towards the positive ion due to its significantly smaller mass compared to the ion. The density of electrons and ions in a metal is equal, but the ratio of kinetic energy to coulombic energy is not. This results in a phase transition where the ionic cores form a lattice, while the electrons remain in a gaseous state. The ionic cores are held together by metallic bonds, which prevent them from escaping even when the metal is negatively charged. When a positively charged object is brought near a metal, the entire object experiences a net force, but the lattice pull is not taken into account since the object is moving as a whole.
sgstudent
When a metal gets polarized it looks like this: http://postimage.org/image/bkdw8ttgn/

However, only the electron moves towards the positive ion. Why is this so? As both experience an equal force despite the different accelerations, shouldn't both the positive ion and negative electron come together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the electron is so much less massive than the rest of the atom - and the atoms are all bound to each other in a lattice. It is like, when you jump, technically the Earth also moves - but you don't take that into account in calculations do you?

Simon Bridge said:
Because the electron is so much less massive than the rest of the atom - and the atoms are all bound to each other in a lattice. It is like, when you jump, technically the Earth also moves - but you don't take that into account in calculations do you?

Oh so technically the ion also moves, but it's because the electron's mass is so small that it movement is practically nothing? But actually is there another force holding the ions there?

Because when i was thinking about this, I thought of a positive metal rod http://postimage.org/image/k5xmanti1/ so if i follow my first statement where the ion also moves, won't the positive charges get repelled away?

Thanks so much for the reply

It is not easy to explain the reason in few sentences.
With some abstraction, you can regard a metal as composed of ionic cores and electrons interacting only through coulombic forces.
The density of electrons and ions is equal (assuming singly charged ions).
What is not equal is the ratio of kinetic energy to coulombic energy. While the mean Coulombic energy is quite equal for electrons and ion cores, the kinetic energies are vastly larger for the electrons than for the ions due to the different mass.
Now it is known that when the kinetic energy becomes small, a gas of charged particles will condense into a lattice (the Wigner lattice). This happens for the ionic cores but not for the electrons at metallic densities.
This is a phase transition similar to the gas-solid transition.
The ionic cores cannot move freely any more but only as a whole.

DrDu said:
It is not easy to explain the reason in few sentences.
With some abstraction, you can regard a metal as composed of ionic cores and electrons interacting only through coulombic forces.
The density of electrons and ions is equal (assuming singly charged ions).
What is not equal is the ratio of kinetic energy to coulombic energy. While the mean Coulombic energy is quite equal for electrons and ion cores, the kinetic energies are vastly larger for the electrons than for the ions due to the different mass.
Now it is known that when the kinetic energy becomes small, a gas of charged particles will condense into a lattice (the Wigner lattice). This happens for the ionic cores but not for the electrons at metallic densities.
This is a phase transition similar to the gas-solid transition.
The ionic cores cannot move freely any more but only as a whole.

Oh, so the metal ions experience attraction among themselves that keep them from escaping? But what if I had a negatively charged metal object, in this case won't they be able to escape the whole metal object?

So when I have a positively charged metal, the force holding the repulsion is that attractive force among themselves so actually those ions would have no net force?

But actually, when i attract a positive charge like this: http://postimage.org/image/9xoxxfnpb/ so when we apply Coulomb's Law here, we would find the net force of the entire object so if we calculate the acceleration it would be (A1+A2-Lattice pull)/total mass of object.

So to match the same acceleration, would the ion experience still a net force forward, however, it is such that A1-lattice pull/mass of ion. However, this doesn't seem mathematically sound? Also, this also doesn't really make sense to me because when i have a polarized metal, and i remove the charged object, the electrons will just flow back to the positive ions. However, in this case http://postimage.org/image/9xoxxfnpb/ the positive ion experiences a net force. So I'm pretty confused about this as well.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sgstudent said:
Oh, so the metal ions experience attraction among themselves that keep them from escaping?

Yes, the nuclei, the ions, are bound to each other through metallic bonds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_bond

But what if I had a negatively charged metal object, in this case won't they be able to escape the whole metal object?

Not really. To do so you would have to apply so much force that you effectively rip the metal apart and ionize it. And such extreme negative charge would also rip apart your other object.

So when I have a positively charged metal, the force holding the repulsion is that attractive force among themselves so actually those ions would have no net force?

When you positively charge an object you remove a tiny tiny fraction of its electrons from it. There are still plenty there to keep the ions bound to each other.

But actually, when i attract a positive charge like this: http://postimage.org/image/9xoxxfnpb/ so when we apply Coulomb's Law here, we would find the net force of the entire object so if we calculate the acceleration it would be (A1+A2-Lattice pull)/total mass of object.

I don't think you count the "lattice pull" since you are moving the entire object, not just part of it.

Drakkith said:
Yes, the nuclei, the ions, are bound to each other through metallic bonds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_bond

Not really. To do so you would have to apply so much force that you effectively rip the metal apart and ionize it. And such extreme negative charge would also rip apart your other object.

When you positively charge an object you remove a tiny tiny fraction of its electrons from it. There are still plenty there to keep the ions bound to each other.

I don't think you count the "lattice pull" since you are moving the entire object, not just part of it.

But even if the number of electrons that is removed when a metal is positively charged is very small compared to the total number of positive ions/electrons present, won't the overall amount of repulsion experienced within the metal still be greater than the attraction (since attraction is now between cations and fewer electrons)? Then if what's holding the metal together is only the attractive forces, shouldn't the metal not be able to "stay" together?

Thanks for the help :smile:

But even if the number of electrons that is removed when a metal is positively charged is very small compared to the total number of positive ions/electrons present, won't the overall amount of repulsion experienced within the metal still be greater than the attraction (since attraction is now between cations and fewer electrons)? Then if what's holding the metal together is only the attractive forces, shouldn't the metal not be able to "stay" together?
After reading that link about metallic bonding, have a go working out how many electrons would have to be removed before the bonding breaks down.

You seem to have this mental picture of a metallic bond being similar to an ionic bond.

Simon Bridge said:
After reading that link about metallic bonding, have a go working out how many electrons would have to be removed before the bonding breaks down.

You seem to have this mental picture of a metallic bond being similar to an ionic bond.

Hi sorry for the super late reply..

Actually i was thinking of it like this: I have 5 positive ions in a sheet of metal. So overall there is 5 more positive charges than negative charges. So around them due to the electrons and positive nucleus are being covered by each other (effectively causing everything around them to be neutral), the only Coulomb's Force experienced by them is the repulsion by the other positive charges so shouldn't they get ripped out?

Thanks so much for the help guys :)

Even when charged positively, a piece of metal still has enough electrons shared between all atoms to maintain their bonds. The key here is that the atoms BOND to each other by sharing electrons. When they bond they drop to a lower energy state, which means that we need to add energy somehow to break them out of their bonds. Removing a few electrons from your metal only adds a little bit of energy to each atom, far less than what is required to break the bonds.

It just isn't as simple as saying, "these 5 ions are positively charged and should repel each other". Even if you charge the metal, the attractive force between each atom is far greater than the overall repulsion. If we were to keep removing electrons, and thus charging the metal more and more positive, I would expect it to reach a point eventually where the repulsion is right on the verge of equaling the attractive force, and after that the metal would fly apart. However, this probably ignores all kinds of quantum effects that matter, so I can't say for certain what would happen.

Drakkith said:
Even when charged positively, a piece of metal still has enough electrons shared between all atoms to maintain their bonds. The key here is that the atoms BOND to each other by sharing electrons. When they bond they drop to a lower energy state, which means that we need to add energy somehow to break them out of their bonds. Removing a few electrons from your metal only adds a little bit of energy to each atom, far less than what is required to break the bonds.

It just isn't as simple as saying, "these 5 ions are positively charged and should repel each other". Even if you charge the metal, the attractive force between each atom is far greater than the overall repulsion. If we were to keep removing electrons, and thus charging the metal more and more positive, I would expect it to reach a point eventually where the repulsion is right on the verge of equaling the attractive force, and after that the metal would fly apart. However, this probably ignores all kinds of quantum effects that matter, so I can't say for certain what would happen.

Oh could you elaborate on the attraction part? Because I'm thinking if i have an electron to attract it there, there would also be a positive charge so as a whole they don't have any effect on the positive charges.

Thanks so much for understanding :) I just can't seem to get this

sgstudent said:
Oh could you elaborate on the attraction part? Because I'm thinking if i have an electron to attract it there, there would also be a positive charge so as a whole they don't have any effect on the positive charges.

Thanks so much for understanding :) I just can't seem to get this

Remember that atoms have all of their positive charge in the nucleus. The electrons occupy the "electron cloud" or "orbitals" or whatever you want to call them. Without delving into Quantum Mechanics let's just say that since the electrons are not static, you can have electrons shared between atoms in bonds, resulting in an attraction between them, even though both atoms have a neutral charge overall. In a metallic bond, not only do you have electrons shared between neighboring atoms, they are actually shared throughout the entire material!

A more accurate description would involve talk of electron orbital energy levels, quantum spin, and a few other factors that are fairly in depth.

I hope that helps a bit. I'm afraid I cannot figure out how to explain this in an "intuitive" way.

The covalent bond is a different mechanism to what you are thinking about. The details involve quantum mechanics. I don't know how much detail to use because I don't know your level of understanding. Did you read the links about metallic bonding? Also read about "band structure of solids" and "covalent bond". See if you can rephrase your question in terms of what you learn: you should discover your question answered.

Bottom line: the mental picture you have been using is too simple to cope with the subject. Any explanation you get here will not be in terms of ions attracting and repelling.

1. Why do metal ions remain stationary in the metal body?

Metal ions remain stationary in the metal body due to the strong metallic bonds between the positively charged metal ions and the delocalized electrons. These bonds create a lattice structure that holds the ions in place, making the metal solid and stable.

2. How is the stationary position of metal ions related to the properties of metals?

The stationary position of metal ions is directly related to the properties of metals, such as their high melting and boiling points, ductility, and conductivity. The strong bonds between the ions allow for the transfer of heat and electricity, while the stationary position gives metals their strength and malleability.

3. Can metal ions move within the metal body?

While metal ions are generally stationary within the metal body, they can move under certain conditions. For example, when a metal is heated, the ions may gain enough energy to overcome their bonds and move, causing the metal to expand. This movement is also responsible for the phenomenon of thermal conductivity in metals.

4. How do different types of metal ions affect the stationary position in a metal body?

The stationary position of metal ions can vary depending on the type of metal. For instance, in an alloy where different metal ions are mixed, the ions may be held in place by different types of bonds, leading to a different overall strength and structure. Additionally, the size and charge of the ions can also affect their stationary position within the metal body.

5. What factors can lead to a change in the stationary position of metal ions in a metal body?

There are several factors that can cause a change in the stationary position of metal ions within a metal body. These include changes in temperature, external forces or stress, and the addition of other elements or impurities. These changes can disrupt the bonds between the ions and alter the structure and properties of the metal.