Finding an accurate derivative for discrete points

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multiple points to compute the derivative of a function in order to avoid errors caused by using only two points. It also mentions the use of more sophisticated numerical methods and suggests watching a lecture in a Computational Physics Course to learn more. The question posed is whether there is a way to optimize the distance between points for the most accurate derivative approximation.
hgonzaga89
This is a question i hope someone on the forum can help me answer.
Recently In a lab i had this question pop into my head, here goes:
If I have a set of data and i am asked to find the derivative, I can plot
it using the equation f'(x) ~ (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) if i have sufficently close points.
A complication arrises using machine numbers since if the points are too close
we may calculate a near infinite derivative, so it may be wise to make this
modification f'(x) ~ (y3-y1)/(x3-x1),(y4-y1)/(x4-x1) ... etc. So if assuming I
communicated this background information sufficiently, my question is:
Is there a way to optimize the distance between points a and b such that the
derivative approximation is most accurate?

Any Takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The more sophisticated numerical methods use more than two points on the function to compute it's derivative at one point. (They are naturally called "two point", "three point" ... etc. methods). A entertaining way to learn about this is to watch the 7th lecture in the Computational Physics Course, which you can reach from the page http://www.perimeterscholars.org/266.html ( a link given in this forum in the Math And Science Learning Materials section).

Of course, it would be interesting to discuss it here too.

1. How do you find the accurate derivative for discrete points?

To find the accurate derivative for discrete points, you can use the finite difference method. This involves calculating the slope between adjacent points and taking the limit as the distance between the points approaches zero. Another method is to use regression techniques to fit a curve to the discrete points and then calculate the derivative of the curve at a specific point.

2. Why is finding an accurate derivative for discrete points important?

Finding an accurate derivative for discrete points is important because it allows us to understand the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the limitations of using the finite difference method for finding derivatives?

The finite difference method is limited by the accuracy of the data points. If the data points are too far apart, the calculated derivative may not accurately represent the true derivative of the function. Additionally, the method may be sensitive to noise or outliers in the data.

4. Can you use calculus to find the derivative of discrete points?

No, calculus is not applicable for finding the derivative of discrete points since it requires a continuous function. However, you can use calculus-based techniques, such as regression, to approximate the derivative of a curve that fits the discrete points.

5. Are there any software tools available for finding accurate derivatives of discrete points?

Yes, there are many software tools available for finding accurate derivatives of discrete points, such as MATLAB, Python's SciPy library, and WolframAlpha. These tools use various numerical methods and algorithms to calculate derivatives and provide accurate results.