Earth inclination vs climate transitions

In summary: I think Muller's cycle has a better chance of causing climate changes due to the fact that it is periodic.
peterjfharris
I have seen an unverified post which claims that changes in Earth orbit inclination (to the invariable plane) may alter the impact zone of Lunar tides and alter circulation of warmed MOC in the Polar sea. This orbit inclination cycles with a frequency of 100KY which matches and is in phase with Eccentricity and the ice age transitions.
Does anyone have more info or a link to show how these inclination changes could interact with climate?
Peter

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thanks I am familiar with Milankovich cycles and also the paper by Muller. The Muller inclination cycles would be a better solution for climate transitions than Milankovich Eccentricity cycles if we could show that inclination (to the invariable plane) will modulate climate either by affecting insolation or by some other means . That is my question. I have seen a suggestion that this inclination cycle will redirect ocean tides affecting sea circulation around the Polar sea and could cause an ice age transition.
Is that true ?
Peter

peterjfharris said:
I have seen a suggestion that this inclination cycle will redirect ocean tides affecting sea circulation around the Polar sea and could cause an ice age transition.
Is that true ?
Peter

Link to source?

100,000 year problem is still up in the air.
Here is a summary of what's being investigated...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100,000-year_problem#Solutions_to_the_problem

Let's remember that discussions of current CC or AGW is a closed topic.

Evo
I am looking for an answer to my question which relates to orbital inclination possible effect on climate. Nix to CC or AGW.
Peter

peterjfharris said:
Evo
I am looking for an answer to my question which relates to orbital inclination possible effect on climate. Nix to CC or AGW.
Peter
That's why I left your thread open and deleted 2 posts.

Tidal effects.

As ocean currents and sea/air energy transfers vary with tides, whose ranges vary with polar inclination, precession, arcane changes in Moon's orbit etc etc, you may find the following work by Keeling & Whorf interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC18099/

quote:
Variations in solar irradiance are widely believed to explain climatic change on 20,000- to 100,000-year time-scales in accordance with the Milankovitch theory of the ice ages, but there is no conclusive evidence that variable irradiance can be the cause of abrupt fluctuations in climate on time-scales as short as 1,000 years. We propose that such abrupt millennial changes, seen in ice and sedimentary core records, were produced in part by well characterized, almost periodic variations in the strength of the global oceanic tide-raising forces caused by resonances in the periodic motions of the Earth and moon. A well defined 1,800-year tidal cycle is associated with gradually shifting lunar declination from one episode of maximum tidal forcing on the centennial time-scale to the next. An amplitude modulation of this cycle occurs with an average period of about 5,000 years, associated with gradually shifting separation-intervals between perihelion and syzygy at maxima of the 1,800-year cycle. We propose that strong tidal forcing causes cooling at the sea surface by increasing vertical mixing in the oceans. On the millennial time-scale, this tidal hypothesis is supported by findings, from sedimentary records of ice-rafting debris, that ocean waters cooled close to the times predicted for strong tidal forcing.
quote/

Thanks Nik that was helpful. I had been researching Bond cycles and it links.

1. What is Earth's inclination and how does it affect climate?

Earth's inclination, also known as axial tilt, refers to the angle at which the Earth's axis is tilted in relation to its orbit around the Sun. This tilt is the reason for the change in seasons and also plays a crucial role in climate patterns. The amount of sunlight reaching different parts of the Earth changes as the planet orbits the Sun, leading to variations in temperature and weather patterns.

2. How does Earth's inclination impact the distribution of sunlight on Earth?

Earth's inclination causes the Sun's rays to strike different parts of the Earth at varying angles throughout the year. This results in the changing of seasons and also affects the amount of sunlight received at different latitudes. Regions closer to the equator receive more direct sunlight, leading to warmer temperatures, while regions closer to the poles receive less direct sunlight and have colder temperatures.

3. Can Earth's inclination change over time and impact climate?

Yes, Earth's inclination can change over time due to factors such as gravitational pull from other planets, changes in Earth's orbit, and changes in the distribution of mass on the planet. These changes can lead to variations in the amount of sunlight received at different latitudes, which can ultimately impact climate patterns and global temperatures.

4. How does Earth's inclination compare to other planets in our solar system?

Earth's inclination is relatively small compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, Uranus has an inclination of 98 degrees, meaning its axis is almost parallel to its orbit around the Sun. This extreme inclination results in extreme seasonal variations on Uranus. In contrast, Earth's inclination of 23.5 degrees is relatively mild and leads to more moderate seasonal changes.

5. Is there a relationship between Earth's inclination and the occurrence of ice ages?

Yes, Earth's inclination does play a role in the occurrence of ice ages. Scientists believe that changes in Earth's axial tilt, combined with other factors such as changes in atmospheric composition and solar activity, can lead to the onset of ice ages. A more extreme inclination can lead to more extreme seasonal variations, which can contribute to the formation and melting of ice sheets.