Calcluated density value different from literature

In summary, density is the measure of mass per unit volume of a substance and is important in scientific research for identifying, characterizing, and determining the physical properties of materials. A calculated density value is obtained through mathematical calculations and can differ from the literature value due to experimental errors, variations in temperature and pressure, impurities, or differences in measurement techniques. If there is a discrepancy, it is important to carefully check the experimental procedure and data and consider repeating the experiment or consulting with other researchers. To improve the accuracy of a calculated density value, precise and calibrated equipment, multiple trials, and consistent experimental conditions can be utilized, along with careful data recording and analysis and seeking feedback from other researchers.
ana111790

Homework Statement

A blood pressure cuff is used to measure the gage pressure associated with blood flow in the body. “Normal”, systolic blood pressure is commonly reported as 120 mm of mercury. This value represents the vertical displacement of mercury (h) resulting from the gage pressure within the device. (The density of mercury is ρ = 1.38 x 10^4 x kg/m^3 )

a. Calculate the gage pressure within the device (in Pa) that corresponds to a vertical displacement of 120 mmHg.

b. The fluid in the device is replaced with a glycerin solution and the gage pressure from part b is applied. The displacement in the column corresponding to this gage pressure is 166 mm of glycerin. What is the density of this glycerin solution?

Homework Equations

Pgage= ρ*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Pgage= ρ*g*h = (1.38 x 10^4 kg/m^3)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(120mm)* (1m/1000mm)
Pgage=16200 kPa
b) ρglycerin=Pgage= 16200Pa/[(9.8 m/s^2)*(166mm)*(1m/1000mm)
ρglycerin=9960 kg/m^3 which is different from the density of glycerin in literature (1250 kg/m^3)

So I am wondering these calculations are right or if I am missing something.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ana111790 said:

Homework Statement

A blood pressure cuff is used to measure the gage pressure associated with blood flow in the body. “Normal”, systolic blood pressure is commonly reported as 120 mm of mercury. This value represents the vertical displacement of mercury (h) resulting from the gage pressure within the device. (The density of mercury is ρ = 1.38 x 10^4 x kg/m^3 )

a. Calculate the gage pressure within the device (in Pa) that corresponds to a vertical displacement of 120 mmHg.

b. The fluid in the device is replaced with a glycerin solution and the gage pressure from part b is applied. The displacement in the column corresponding to this gage pressure is 166 mm of glycerin. What is the density of this glycerin solution?

Homework Equations

Pgage= ρ*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Pgage= ρ*g*h = (1.38 x 10^4 kg/m^3)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(120mm)* (1m/1000mm)
Pgage=16200 kPa
b) ρglycerin=Pgage= 16200Pa/[(9.8 m/s^2)*(166mm)*(1m/1000mm)
ρglycerin=9960 kg/m^3 which is different from the density of glycerin in literature (1250 kg/m^3)

So I am wondering these calculations are right or if I am missing something.
Thanks!

The height of the column is inversely proportional to the density of the fluid, so your answer appears to be consistent with the data given. I agree with you that the glycerin solution is unrealistically dense.

What is density and why is it important in scientific research?

Density is the measure of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is important in scientific research because it can help identify and characterize different materials, determine the purity of a substance, and inform about the physical properties of a material.

What is a calculated density value and how is it determined?

A calculated density value is the density value that is obtained through mathematical calculations using the mass and volume of a substance. It is determined by dividing the mass of the substance by its volume.

Why might a calculated density value differ from the literature value?

There are several reasons why a calculated density value might differ from the literature value. Some possible reasons include experimental errors, variations in temperature and pressure, impurities in the sample, and differences in measurement techniques or equipment.

What should I do if my calculated density value differs from the literature value?

If your calculated density value differs from the literature value, it is important to carefully check your experimental procedure and data to identify any possible sources of error. You may also want to repeat the experiment or compare your results with those of other researchers to determine the accuracy of your findings.

How can I improve the accuracy of my calculated density value?

To improve the accuracy of your calculated density value, you can take several steps such as using precise and calibrated equipment, performing multiple trials, and ensuring that your experimental conditions are consistent. It is also important to carefully record and analyze your data and to consult with other researchers for their insights and feedback.