What is the Definition2 of derivative?

• Thread starter lokofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: The limit is still valid for a linear space, so I guess that would be what he wanted to talk about.In summary, a differentiable function is one which has a derivative at a given point.
lokofer
"Definition2 of derivative...

We have the defintion (taking the limit) for hte derivative:

[tex] \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/tex] for an Euclidean Space...

But what keeps us from defining another metric (on an Euclidean or other abstract space) so the derivative takes de form:

[tex] \frac{(df(x),f(a))}{d(x,a} [/tex] so "d" is a distance in the form that you can define "infinitesimal2 elements on an space and that for x=a ,d=0

Then the "abstract" definition of integral is:

[tex] \sum_{i} f(X_i ) d(X_{i+1},X_{i}) [/tex]

of course in the limit that the distance [tex] || X_{i+1}-X_í}||\rightarrow 0 [/tex] and ¿what happens if we had an "Infinite" dimensional space...so

- it is "numerable" (ie: R^{n})
- it's not "numerable" (function space)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you ever proofread your posts?

I don't see any technical problem with defining

[tex]
f'(a) := \lim_{d(x, a) \rightarrow 0} \frac{d(f(x), f(a))}{d(x, a)}
[/tex]

on an arbitrary metric space... but it won't really behave algebraically like a derivative. I don't know if it will exist very often for something that doesn't look like a linear space. It also doesn't agree with the ordinary derivative on Euclidean space: by your definition, the derivative of -x is 1. (and not -1) (because, for the real numbers, d(x, y) = |x - y|)

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I don't see any technical problem with defining

[tex]
f'(a) := \lim_{d(x, a) \rightarrow 0} \frac{d(f(x), f(a))}{d(x, a)}
[/tex]

on an arbitrary metric space...
But the metric space has to be smooth right?

MeJennifer said:
But the metric space has to be smooth right?
The definition makes literal sense for any metric space. (Though I suspect such limits might not exist very often)

I'm not sure what a "smooth metric space" is -- if you've heard that, then that's probably a good criterion that ensures lots of these "derivatives" will exist.

What is (or is not) a "smooth" metric space?

A standard definition, given in most "Calculus III" courses, for the derivative is

A function, f:X-> Y, where X and Y are metric spaces, is said to be "differentiable at a" if and only if there exist a linear function, L:X->Y, and a function [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that
[tex]f(x)= f(a)+ L(x-a)+ \epsilon(x-a)[/tex]
and
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\epsilon(x-a)||x-a||= 0[/tex]

What more do you want?

Hrm. I had assumed that he wanted to talk about derivatives for something that isn't a linear space, but now that I read again, that wasn't a good assumption!

FAQ: What is the Definition2 of derivative?

1. What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function represents the rate of change of that function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative is calculated using the limit definition, which involves finding the slope of a secant line as the two points get infinitely close together. It can also be calculated using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the function.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is useful in many areas of math and science, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows us to understand how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

4. What is the difference between the first and second derivative?

The first derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while the second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative. In other words, the second derivative tells us how quickly the slope of the function is changing.

5. Can any function have a derivative?

No, not all functions have a derivative. A function must be continuous and have a defined slope at every point in order to have a derivative. Functions with sharp corners or discontinuities do not have derivatives.