Block resting on slop with friction - statics

In summary, The problem involves a block resting on a 20° slope with coefficients of friction µs = 0.80 and µk = 0.49. It is connected to a hanging block via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley. The question is to find the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip. By using Newton's second law and finding the tension in the string, it is possible to find the normal force and friction force on the block. However, the expression for the normal force is incorrect as it does not take into account the angle of the slope. The correct approach is to consider the force components perpendicular to the surface, which must add to zero. Therefore, the correct
y3ahright

Homework Statement

a block of mass m resting on a 20° slope. The block has coefficients of friction µs = 0.80 and µk = 0.49 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass m2 = 2.0 kg.

What is the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip?

Homework Equations

Newtons second law sum of the forces = mass * acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the hanging block to find the tension to be equal to 9.8*(2) = 19.6 N

With that found I found that n = mgSin(20) and T = µs * mgSin(20)

So 19.6 = .8*m 9.8Sin(20) and m = 7.309 kg

The online homework says this is incorrect and I have no idea of any other way to go about this problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

y3ahright said:
I used the hanging block to find the tension to be equal to 9.8*(2) = 19.6 N
Good.

With that found I found that n = mgSin(20) and T = µs * mgSin(20)
That's an incorrect expression for the normal force (wrong component of weight). And I assume you meant friction force, not T (for tension).

Hint: Three forces act on the block parallel to the incline.

Doc Al said:
Good.

That's an incorrect expression for the normal force (wrong component of weight).

I don't get what you mean by wrong component of weight, when i draw my FBD i have normal force going up and mg pointing down and

n - mg = 0 so n = mg but because its the 20 degree slope its n = mgSin20 ?

y3ahright said:
I don't get what you mean by wrong component of weight, when i draw my FBD i have normal force going up and mg pointing down and
While mg points down, the normal force doesn't point up--it's perpendicular to the surface, so it's at a angle.

n - mg = 0 so n = mg but because its the 20 degree slope its n = mgSin20 ?
It's not true that n = mg. To find the normal force, consider force components perpendicular to the surface--they must add to zero. What's the component of gravity perpendicular to the surface.

Related to Block resting on slop with friction - statics

1. What is the definition of "statics" in this context?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with objects at rest, or in equilibrium. In this context, it refers to the study of objects on a slope, specifically a block resting on a slope with friction.

2. How is the force of friction calculated in this scenario?

The force of friction is calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force exerted by the surface on the object. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, and the coefficient of friction depends on the materials in contact and the angle of the slope.

3. What factors affect the stability of a block resting on a slope with friction?

The stability of a block on a slope with friction is affected by the angle of the slope, the weight and distribution of the block, and the coefficient of friction. A higher coefficient of friction or a lower angle of the slope will increase stability, while a lower coefficient of friction or a higher angle of the slope will decrease stability.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the equilibrium of the block on the slope?

Friction plays a crucial role in maintaining the equilibrium of the block on the slope. The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the block's movement, preventing it from sliding down the slope. Without friction, the block would slide down the slope until it reaches the bottom.

5. What are the practical applications of studying blocks resting on slopes with friction?

Studying blocks resting on slopes with friction has practical applications in engineering and construction. It helps in designing stable structures such as roads, bridges, and buildings. It also helps in determining the maximum weight that can be safely placed on a slope without causing it to collapse.