Thermal concepts questions (chem related)

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to physics. The first problem involves the changes in temperature, heat of fusion, average molecular kinetic energy, and average molecular potential energy when lead melts. The second problem asks for the number of particles of air in a room, given the mass and average molecular mass of air. The equations used for these problems are provided and the responder suggests checking a textbook for a more thorough explanation of the heat of fusion. The correct answer for the number of particles of air is 8860.55.
yamugushi
I know these aren't exactly physics problems but I'm being asked them in physics so...

Homework Statement

1) As lead melts there is a change in it's...
Temperature
Heat of fusion (what I now think it is)
Avg molecular KE (what I thought it was)
Avg molecular PE

2)In a room there is 250kg of air, in the avg molecular mass of air is 28.8g/mol (.0288kg) how many particles of "air" is in the room?

Homework Equations

1) none

2) n=m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

1) look above in parentheses

2)
n=250/.028

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers to #1 are wrong. Check your textbook for an explanation of the heat of fusion. I can explain it here, but it's too important a concept to cover thoroughly in one forum post.

For #2, you found the number of moles. The question asks for the number of actual particles.

particles of "air" in the room

I am happy to see that you are thinking critically about these thermal concepts. It is important to understand the different factors that affect the behavior of materials, such as lead melting. I would like to provide some clarification on your answers to the questions.

1) As lead melts, there is a change in its temperature, but there is also a change in its heat of fusion. The heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid at its melting point. In this case, as lead melts, it absorbs heat energy, which increases its temperature and allows it to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the solid together. The average molecular kinetic energy and potential energy also change during this process, but they are not directly related to the melting of lead.

2) Your calculation for the number of particles of "air" in the room is correct. However, it is important to note that air is a mixture of different gases, each with its own molecular mass. So, the average molecular mass of air (28.8 g/mol) may not accurately represent the molecular mass of all the gases present in the room. Additionally, the number of particles of air in the room will constantly change due to diffusion and other factors. Therefore, this calculation only provides an estimate of the number of particles at a given moment.

I hope this helps clarify these thermal concepts for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that a substance possesses due to the random motion of its particles. It is also known as heat energy and is a form of kinetic energy.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

3. How does thermal conductivity affect heat transfer?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can conduct heat. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, are good conductors of heat and therefore transfer heat more quickly compared to materials with low thermal conductivity, such as wood or plastic.

4. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a material-specific property and is often used in calculating the amount of heat needed for a process or reaction.

5. Can thermal energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, thermal energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy. This conversion can occur through processes such as heat engines, which use thermal energy to do work, or through chemical reactions that release or absorb heat energy.