What kinds of local stores sell pulleys?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the best places to find pulleys in local stores are automotive or agricultural supply shops, boating suppliers, and hardware stores. The person asking the question needs a heavy pulley for a gravity-related project and cannot purchase online due to time constraints. Other potential options, such as physics or arts and crafts stores, are also mentioned.
keltix
What kinds of local stores sell pulleys?
I can't buy online because of time limit.
Are the like physics stores around cities?
Or do like Arts & Crafts stores sell them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Keltix.
Your best bet might be an automotive or agricultural supply shop. Hardware stores tend toward purpose-built pulleys such as for yardlines or garage doors. My local NAPA shop has a far wider variety.

Boating suppliers (ship chandlers) are also great for physics toys.

Good idea, Mgb. Being in the middle of Alberta, I don't tend to think of marine-oriented things. :redface:

www.grainger.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i need it for a gravity so it should be heavy.

thanx ill check these out

FAQ: What kinds of local stores sell pulleys?

1. What are pulleys and what do they do?

Pulleys are simple machines that consist of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. They are used to lift or move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

2. What types of stores typically sell pulleys?

Local hardware stores, home improvement stores, and industrial supply stores are most likely to carry pulleys. However, some larger department stores or online retailers may also sell them.

3. Can I find pulleys at a local grocery or convenience store?

It is unlikely that you will find pulleys at a grocery or convenience store as they are not commonly used in everyday tasks. It is best to check with a store that specializes in tools and hardware.

4. What are some common brands of pulleys that I can look for?

Some popular brands of pulleys include Block Division, Campbell, and National Hardware. However, there are many other brands available, so it is best to compare and read reviews before making a purchase.

5. Are there any specific factors I should consider when purchasing pulleys?

Yes, there are several factors to consider when purchasing pulleys, such as the weight and size of the object you need to lift, the type of material the pulley is made of, and the number of sheaves (grooved wheels) on the pulley. It is also important to make sure the pulley is compatible with the rope or cable you will be using.