Is There a Way to Calculate Energy in Magnets Using FEMM Software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FEMM software for calculating energy, specifically the "Magnetic field Energy" function. The speaker is having trouble getting consistent results and is unsure if they need to do something special to calculate energy in different scenarios, such as when a magnet draws a solid metal or another magnet. They are looking for help in using FEMM software to obtain energy measurements.
lba7
Hello,

(I'm not fluently in english, sorry if it's not a pure english)

I use FEMM software for caculate energy. I have found an integral fonction "Magnetic field Energy" when I select a surface. But I have always the same energy, I don't know why. Is there necessary to make something special ?

In fact, I would like to calculate the energy when a magnet draw a solid metal, or when a magnet draw another magnet. It's a simple problem.

The potential energy move between a solo magnet or a magnet with metal, no ?

Somebody can help me ?

Thanks

Ludovic

Physics news on Phys.org
When a magnet pulls a ferromagnetic metal it actually realigns the magnetic domains in the metal so that they form a magnet. That said, there is a specific http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/engfie.html" . When two fields overlap they will superimpose to either make the field stronger (increasing the energy and requiring work) or weaker (reducing the energy and doing work).

Last edited by a moderator:
good, thanks, but how can I use FEMM software for have energy in the magnet ?

I have no idea. I don't even know what FEMM software is.

does anybody can help me ?

1. How do magnets store energy?

Magnets store energy through their magnetic fields. When the north and south poles of a magnet are brought together, they create a magnetic field. This field contains energy that is used to attract or repel other magnets, or to do work.

2. How is energy calculated in magnets?

The energy stored in a magnet can be calculated using the formula E = ½ * B * m * V, where B is the magnetic field strength, m is the magnetic moment of the magnet, and V is the volume of the magnet. This formula takes into account the strength and size of the magnet to determine its energy.

3. How does the shape of a magnet affect its energy?

The shape of a magnet can affect its energy by altering its magnetic field and magnetic moment. For example, a longer and thinner magnet will have a stronger magnetic field and higher energy compared to a shorter and wider magnet with the same magnetic moment.

4. Can the energy in a magnet be changed?

Yes, the energy in a magnet can be changed by altering the strength of its magnetic field or its magnetic moment. This can be done by applying heat, electricity, or other external forces to the magnet.

5. How is energy released from a magnet?

The energy stored in a magnet can be released by allowing it to attract or repel other magnets, or by doing work. This work can include moving objects, generating electricity, or creating heat through friction.