2 boxes with 1 applied force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the force of contact between two boxes, Box A and Box B, given their masses and forces of friction. Using the equation F=ma, the attempt at a solution involves finding the acceleration of the boxes first, which is calculated to be 1.415m/s/s. However, the final result of 7.5N for the internal force between the two boxes is incorrect. More help is needed to solve the problem correctly.
fahlim003

Homework Statement

Box A
Mass=3.2kg
Force of Friction=2 Newtons

Box B
Mass=2.1kg
Force of Friction=1 Newton

Force applied 10.5 Newtons [horizontally].

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7697/f1qd1.png

Q. Find the magnitude of the force of contact between the two boxes.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find acceleration first since the Force of Friction of both boxes is not greater than the Force Applied.

Fnet=(mA+mB)a

(mA+mB)a=Fa-(FfA+FfB)
(3.2kg+2.1kg)a=10.5N-(2N+1N)
(5.3kg)a=10.5N-(3N)
a=10.5N-(3N)/5.3kg
a=7.5N/5.3kg
a=1.415m/s/s

Now, I tired many, many methods of solving for this from here on, including the example from this page:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=202002

However, the result seems still to be wrong.
I got 7.5N as the internal force both boxes act upon each other.

Any help is appreciated although not dire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fahlim003,

fahlim003 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find acceleration first since the Force of Friction of both boxes is not greater than the Force Applied.

Fnet=(mA+mB)a

(mA+mB)a=Fa-(FfA+FfB)
(3.2kg+2.1kg)a=10.5N-(2N+1N)
(5.3kg)a=10.5N-(3N)
a=10.5N-(3N)/5.3kg
a=7.5N/5.3kg
a=1.415m/s/s

Now, I tired many, many methods of solving for this from here on, including the example from this page:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=202002

However, the result seems still to be wrong.
I got 7.5N as the internal force both boxes act upon each other.

Any help is appreciated although not dire.

I'm not getting the answer of 7.5N. Can you show how you got it?

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given information and identifying any assumptions that need to be made. In this case, it is assumed that the force is applied horizontally, and that there is no other external force acting on the system.

Next, I would use the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the system. From the given information, we know that the net force acting on the system is equal to the applied force minus the sum of the forces of friction. So, we can write the equation as:

Fnet = Fa - (FfA + FfB)

Where:
Fnet = net force
Fa = applied force
FfA = force of friction on Box A
FfB = force of friction on Box B

Plugging in the given values, we get:

Fnet = 10.5N - (2N + 1N)
Fnet = 7.5N

Now, we can use the equation F=ma to solve for acceleration:

7.5N = (3.2kg + 2.1kg)a
a = 7.5N/5.3kg
a = 1.415m/s/s

Once we have calculated the acceleration, we can use it to find the force of contact between the two boxes. This can be done using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the force of contact between the two boxes, and the mass is the combined mass of the two boxes. So, we can write the equation as:

Fcontact = (mA + mB)a

Plugging in the values, we get:

Fcontact = (3.2kg + 2.1kg)(1.415m/s/s)
Fcontact = 9.5N

Therefore, the magnitude of the force of contact between the two boxes is 9.5 Newtons.

1. What is the concept of "2 boxes with 1 applied force"?

The concept refers to a scenario where two boxes are connected and a single force is applied to the system. This force causes both boxes to accelerate together in the same direction.

2. How does the magnitude of the applied force affect the acceleration of the boxes?

The acceleration of the boxes is directly proportional to the magnitude of the applied force. This means that the larger the force, the greater the acceleration of the boxes will be.

3. Can the two boxes have different masses and still experience the same acceleration?

Yes, the two boxes can have different masses and still experience the same acceleration as long as the force applied is the same for both boxes. This is because the acceleration of an object also depends on its mass, and in this case, the force is acting on both boxes equally.

4. What happens to the acceleration if the force is applied at an angle?

If the force is applied at an angle, the acceleration of the boxes will be in the same direction as the force but at a different angle. This is because the force is resolved into two components - one parallel to the direction of motion, which causes acceleration, and one perpendicular to the direction of motion, which causes a change in direction.

5. Is there any external force acting on the system of two boxes?

No, in this scenario, there is no external force acting on the system of two boxes. The only force present is the applied force, which is acting within the system. This means that the total force on the system is zero, and the principle of conservation of momentum applies.