Change in Kinetic Energy of a moving charge

In summary, the problem involves four charges on the axis and a charge moving from one point to another. In order to calculate the change in kinetic energy, we first need to find the voltage within the rectangular coordinate system generated by the four charges. Then, we can use the equation Delta KE= - delta EPE to find the change in potential energy, which will give us the change in kinetic energy.
yankeekd25

Homework Statement

A charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = -3.6 cm, y = 0 cm, a charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = +3.6 cm, y = 0 cm, a charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = 0 cm, y = +3.6 cm, and a charge of -5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = 0 cm, y = -3.6 cm. A charge of -6.5 micro-Coulombs moves from x = -3.6 cm, y = +3.6 cm to the x = -1.86 cm and y = +1.86 cm. What is the -6.5 micro-Coulomb charge's change in kinetic energy during this path? Answer in Joules.

Homework Equations

Delta KE= - delta EPE
EPE= q V
V= Kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the V that the four charges on the axis produce, but I'm not sure what to use for r, or what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work in the rectangular coordinate system that you are given in the problem. The r values are just the hypoteneuses (sp?) of the x,y offsets for each charge. You are correct to calculate the PE initially and the PE finally to get the change in PE to then tell you the change in KE.

berkeman said:
Work in the rectangular coordinate system that you are given in the problem. The r values are just the hypoteneuses (sp?) of the x,y offsets for each charge. You are correct to calculate the PE initially and the PE finally to get the change in PE to then tell you the change in KE.

Ok based on what you told me, I've calculated the voltage within the rectangular system. I know that the new charge will be in that system, so how do I find the initial EPE and final EPE?

FAQ: Change in Kinetic Energy of a moving charge

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one-half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. How does a moving charge have kinetic energy?

A moving charge has kinetic energy because it possesses both mass and velocity, which are the two components needed to calculate kinetic energy. As the charge moves, it has the ability to do work and therefore has kinetic energy.

3. What causes a change in kinetic energy of a moving charge?

A change in kinetic energy of a moving charge is caused by a change in its velocity. This can be due to a change in the force acting on the charge, such as a push or pull, or a change in the direction of its motion.

4. How is the change in kinetic energy of a moving charge calculated?

The change in kinetic energy of a moving charge is calculated by subtracting the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy. This can be represented as ΔKE = KEfinal - KEinitial.

5. What is the relationship between the change in kinetic energy and the force acting on a moving charge?

The change in kinetic energy of a moving charge is directly proportional to the force acting on it. This means that an increase in the force will result in a greater change in kinetic energy, while a decrease in the force will result in a smaller change in kinetic energy.

Back